Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com> on 2011/06/03 19:22:48 UTC

Welcome Benson Margulies to the maven developers

Benson, you are a mad fool agreeing to join us, but welcome anyway!

All, the PMC has voted Benson in as a committer.

- Stephen

---
screen

Re: Welcome Benson Margulies to the maven developers

Posted by Arnaud Héritier <ah...@gmail.com>.
Welcome Benson

Arnaud

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
benson is the "maven's maven"

welcome benson!
Martin--

Posted by Arnaud Héritier <ah...@gmail.com>.
> If I wanted to add some explanations to the core pom doc
> (http://maven.apache.org/pom.html), where does it live?

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/site/trunk/src/site/apt/pom.apt

Arnaud

Re: Welcome Benson Margulies to the maven developers

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
A bit of bio. I'm a middle-aged US resident of Lexington, MA, USA. My
deep background is in, of all things, secure operating systems and
object-oriented databases. I'm the CTO of a company (Basis Technology)
that builds software components that analyze text, with an emphasis on
non-English. I've had to learn a bit of machine learning over the last
few years to keep up; a challenge given that I can barely count to 17.

Around the ASF, I started on CXF, which is where I met Maven for the
first time. I'm also involved in the WS project, where I'm a caretaker
of XmlSchema, and the Mahout project, where I seem to specialize in
... Maven.

At the day job, a considerable part of the code base is java (with a
parallel giant heap of C++ code and some JNI connections). Aside from
using maven to build it, we're deployed Maven to drive processes like
training machine-learning models. In some of these adventures, we've
done some spelunking in the caves that connect 'the maven way', 'the
the primrose path', and 'adventures in novel applications of maven.'
There's nothing like 100MB of model file to lead to some cursing at
the (lack of speed) of the dependency plugin unpacking or the assembly
plugin packing. My colleagues have a few choice things to say about
how easy or hard it is to explain certain 'events' in maven; you may
see some patches to 'help:'.

I expect to start out around here trimming hedges and pulling weeds in
the plugins. I have some ideas and interests in the 'burning issues of
the day' (technical and organizational) but I have a lot to learn
before I'm prepared to try coding something 'inside the reactor (in
more senses of the word than one)', however frustrated I might be from
time to time with some aspects of the current design.

Oh, and I love to fix doc.

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.
Hi Benson!

Welcome to maven!
Apache Maven is a huge source base with lots of sub projects.
I think there are not many people which know all the details in all areas of maven - so most of us are relying on the help of other maven committers!
Best bet is to pick an area of your choice and start working on it.
The forum is always very supportive and if you need a quick tip, then you might try the IRC channels.

Looking forward to your great contributions!

LieGrue,
strub

Posted by Arnaud Héritier <ah...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
Welcome !

2011/6/3 Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>:
> Greetings all. Some PMCs like to get some sort of bio from new
> arrivals, let me know if that's de-rigeur-mortis.
>
> How lazy is consensus 'round here?
>
> I tend to think of relatively small plugin tweaks as I fall over
> things. Are those fair game for commit first, take feedback later, or
> is it 'post a patch and wait for darts?'

Commit first then pray for no complains or no build failure :P

> On Fri, Jun 3, 2011 at 3:22 PM, John Casey <jd...@commonjava.org> wrote:
>> Good to have you aboard, Benson! Welcome.
>>
>> On 6/3/11 1:22 PM, Stephen Connolly wrote:
>>>
>>> Benson, you are a mad fool agreeing to join us, but welcome anyway!
>>>
>>> All, the PMC has voted Benson in as a committer.
>>>
>>> - Stephen
>>>
>>> ---
>>> Sent from my Android phone, so random spelling mistakes, random nonsense
>>> words and other nonsense are a direct result of using swype to type on the
>>> screen
>>>

>> --
>> John Casey
>> Developer, PMC Member - Apache Maven (http://maven.apache.org)
>> Blog: http://www.johnofalltrades.name/

Olivier Lamy
http://twitter.com/olamy | http://www.linkedin.com/in/olamy

Re: Welcome Benson Margulies to the maven developers

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by John Casey <jd...@commonjava.org>.