Posted to users@directory.apache.org by Markus Pohle <ap...@webunity.de> on 2007/07/23 16:19:18 UTC

[apacheds-tools] dump / import produces error if object to import contains german umlaute (äöüÄÖÜß)

Hi list-users,
hi Alex,

using the apacheds-tools.jar that you, Alex, built for me within the
1.5.1-snapshot, I found the following error message occuring trying to
import a ldif file that was exported thru dump command from
apacheds-tools before.

Here is what I have done to reproduce:

1. created partion called "DouglasHolding" containing the ldap structure
seen attached at the end of this email.

2. created two objects under cn=users,dc=VERWALTUNG,dc=DOUGLASHOLDING
with the following attributes (as you can see the second entry uses the
german umlaut 'ü'):

uid=00440095,cn=users,dc=VERWALTUNG,dc=DOUGLASHOLDING
cn=00440095, Hagen
sn=00440095

uid=00630014,cn=users,dc=VERWALTUNG,dc=DOUGLASHOLDING
cn=00630014, Saarbrücken
sn=00630014

3. used the command "java -jar apacheds-tools.jar dump -i
C:\Programme\apacheds-1.5.1-SNAPSHOT -p DouglasHolding -f douglasholding
out.ldif" to dump the structure of partition DouglasHolding

4. used Directory Studio to export the partition DouglasHolding as ldif file

5. compared the both ldif files and found the following difference:

apacheds-tools exported the cn as followed: MDA2MzAwMTQsIFNhYXJicvxja2Vu
directory studio exported the cn as followed:
MDA2MzAwMTQsIFNhYXJicsO8Y2tlbg==

apacheds-tools exported the givenName as followed: U2FhcmJy/GNrZW4=
directory studio exported the givenName as followed: U2FhcmJyw7xja2Vu

6. created clean partition with structure seen below and tried to import
the ldif file created with dump before using the following command:
java -jar apacheds-tools.jar import -e -f douglasholdingout.ldif

The output showed the following error message:
Add of entry uid=00630014,cn=users,dc=VERWALTUNG,dc=DOUGLASHOLDING
failed for the following reasons provided by the server:
failed to add entry
uid=00630014,cn=users,dc=VERWALTUNG,dc=DOUGLASHOLDING: Attribute value
'00630014, Saarbr?' for attribute 'cn' is syntactically inc
orrect

As you can see, the import of the second uid object seems to fail
because of its german umlaut 'ü'

7. did the same test as in '6' with the ldif file created thru export
from directory studio. with this ldif the import is successful.

Does anybody can reproduce this behaviour? Is it a bug in Directory
Studio? If so, I can open a JIRA. If not a bug, what can I do to create
importable ldifs with the dump command?

TIA,
Markus

A T T A C H M E N T S
=====================

LDAP Structure within partition DouglasHolding
Link: http://www.webunity.de/apacheds-tools/basic-structure.ldif

ApacheDS-Tools dump ldif file
Link: http://www.webunity.de/apacheds-tools/apacheds-tools-dump.ldif

Directory Studio Export ldif file
Link: http://www.webunity.de/apacheds-tools/directory-studio-export.ldif

Re: [apacheds-tools] dump / import produces error if object to import contains german umlaute (äöüÄÖÜß)

Posted by Stefan Seelmann <se...@apache.org>.
Hi Markus,

I created an entry with "sn=Saarbrücken" and exported the entry with
different tools:

ApacheDirectoryStudio: U2FhcmJyw7xja2Vu
ldapsearch: U2FhcmJyw7xja2Vu
JXplorer: U2FhcmJyw7xja2Vu

So it seems that ADStudio exports it correctly.

Some more investigation:

Decoding the BASE-64 String U2FhcmJyw7xja2Vu as exported from ADStudio
and others to its hex representation:

  53 61 61 72 62 72 c3 bc 63 6b 65 6e
  S  a  a  r  b  r  ----- c  k  e  n

"c3 bc" is the UTF-8 character sequence for "ü", see
http://www.utf8-chartable.de.

Decoding the BASE-64 String U2FhcmJy/GNrZW4= as exported from
apacheds-tools to its hex representation:

  53 61 61 72 62 72 fc 63 6b 65 6e
  S  a  a  r  b  r  --

I think "fc" is the problem here. It is the ISO-8859-1 hex code for "ü"
but in LDIF UTF-8 encoding must be used (RFC2849).

We have to check which encoding is used in the apacheds-tools. Could you
please file a Jira?

Kind Regards,
Stefan Seelmann

Posted by Stefan Seelmann <se...@apache.org>.
Hi Markus,

I think the problem is fixed. I should be enought to replace the
shared-ldap-0.9.7-SNAPSHOT.jar.

I dropped it here:
http://people.apache.org/~seelmann/shared-ldap-0.9.7-SNAPSHOT.jar

Kind Regards,
Stefan Seelmann

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Hi Markus,

how did you inject the first entry in the server ? Using a LDIF file
or using Studio?

In the first case, you should not use a direct �� in the ldif file, but
instead escape it and then base64 encode it. A good example is :

# givenname;lang-ja:: ���ɥ˩`
sn;lang-ja:: 5bCP56yg5Y6f

where sn is in Java :
String sn = "\u5c0f\u7b20\u539f" (note the unicode encoding)

Welcome to the Babel Tower !

Cordialement,
Emmanuel L��charny
www.iktek.com