Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Charles Honton <ch...@honton.org> on 2016/06/14 05:29:07 UTC

[lang] replace clirr with japicmp

Now that lang is compiled with java6, clirr is broken.  Do we want to update to a more modern report like japicmp <https://siom79.github.io/japicmp/>?

The pom change is something like

  <plugin>
   <groupId>com.github.siom79.japicmp</groupId>
   <artifactId>japicmp-maven-plugin</artifactId>
   <version>0.8.0</version>
   <configuration>
    <parameter>
     <onlyModified>true</onlyModified>
     <breakBuildOnBinaryIncompatibleModifications>true</breakBuildOnBinaryIncompatibleModifications>
    </parameter>
   </configuration>
   <executions>
    <execution>
     <phase>verify</phase>
     <goals>
      <goal>cmp</goal>
     </goals>
    </execution>
   </executions>
  </plugin>

regards,
chas

Re: [lang] replace clirr with japicmp

Posted by Pascal Schumacher <pa...@gmx.net>.
+1

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Jun 13, 2016 at 11:11 PM, Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org>
wrote:

> Hello Charles,
>
> Charles Honton <ch...@honton.org> schrieb am Di., 14. Juni 2016 um 07:29
> Uhr:
>
> > Now that lang is compiled with java6, clirr is broken.  Do we want to
> > update to a more modern report like japicmp <
> > https://siom79.github.io/japicmp/>?
> >

> The site build is only broken when build with Java 8. It should be working
> with Java 6 and Java 7.

+1, Java 6 and 7 are fine. One issue with Java 8 working for our builds is
getting BCEL out the door.

Gary

<http://www.manning.com/bauer3/>
Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com
Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: [lang] replace clirr with japicmp

Posted by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org>.
Hello Charles,

as I said in response to Jochen, I'm fine with giving japicmp a try. But
for tools as important to us as clirr, I've come to the conclusion that it
would be better to have them at the ASF.

Benedikt

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Jun 15, 2016 at 6:45 AM, Charles Honton <ch...@honton.org> wrote:
> According to clirr-maven-plugin pom, it depends on
> net.sf.clirr:chirr-core:0.6 (released on 11-Feb-2006)
> org.apache.bcel:bel:5.2 (release on 13-Jun-2006)
> net.sf.clirr:chirr-core:0.6 had an excluded dependency on bcel:bel:5.1 (released 22-Nov-2005 and modified 20-Oct-2010)
>

> Yes, japicmp has single developer and nine contributors.  However, that single developer has done a great job keeping up to date.  Japicmp is Apache licensed <https://github.com/siom79/japicmp/blob/master/LICENSE>.  (Clirr does not mention any license in pom) Should Martin Mois decide to quite maintenance, the code is available both at GitHub <https://github.com/siom79/japicmp> and Maven Central <http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/com/github/siom79/japicmp/japicmp/0.8.0/>. (Clirr source jar is not at Maven Central)
>
> Why do we find it so hard to take components or tools off the shelf?  Why are we jumping to invest time re-writing when our efforts could better be spent on our focus products?

If I remember correctly, nobody rejected giving japicmp a try.

Jochen

Re: [lang] replace clirr with japicmp

Posted by Charles Honton <ch...@honton.org>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.