Posted to user@geronimo.apache.org by Brill Pappin <jo...@gmail.com> on 2006/03/14 05:29:25 UTC

Not a single webapp seems to work

I've been developing java webapps for years and run many of those...
however I can't seem to get *one single application* to run on
Geronimo.

There always seems to be a problem of one sort or another... however I
am very excited by the  server and would really like to migrate all of
my existing applications to it.

Is there some special standard Geronimo is implementing? Is it just
simply very strict as to what it will accept?

Is anyone else having trouble deploying well known/mature webapps?

I'd love to hear about the experiance others are having, and any of
those details that make up the "personality" of the server.

Re: Not a single webapp seems to work

Posted by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu>.
It would help to know what kind of errors you're running into.  For
example, if your web apps rely on looking up EJBs in JNDI without a
"java:comp/env" prefix, that definitely will not work -- Geronimo (and
the J2EE standard) only support the "java:comp/env" space* even though
it's reasonably common for other app servers to allow you to bind
things like EJBs and JDBC pools elsewhere in JNDI and hit them
directly there from your web apps...  But I'm not at all sure this is
actually the problem you're having.  :)

Thanks,
    Aaron

* Well, just about, I think maybe the UserTransaction is officially
somewhere other than under java:comp/env and we do support that as the
spec requires...

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.
Brill,

Can you provide some more detail as to the nature of the problems your having?
Our goal was not to make it hard :)

Thanks

Matt

Posted by Brill Pappin <jo...@gmail.com>.
Forgot to mention, I'm deploying from the Console "Deploy New" page.

Re: Not a single webapp seems to work

Posted by Brill Pappin <jo...@gmail.com>.
The ones I'm trying to use are non EJB apps... simple ones like
JSPWiki, XPlanner etc. All are applications I've installed many times
before (they have different levels of installation difficulty).

The XPlanner one was the worst so far, in that the classloader didn't
seem to isolate the application very well; and I got a conflict with a
library in the Geronimo repository (commons-logging in this case),
then went on to fix issue after issue (and still havn't got it all
working).

On the plus side, I did manage to get a simple test webapp with one
JSP page to run... but obviously that's not very useful.

So far, I think my problem is that the embedded Tomcat doesn't seem to
behave as expected. I've been doing this for long enough to understand
some of the intricacies of deploying a WAR, but keep running into
things I don't think I should (the classloader problem I mentioned
above was the worst so far).

Re: Not a single webapp seems to work

Posted by Hernan Cunico <hc...@gmail.com>.
Hi,
it is hard to tell why you are having issues running applications on Geronimo without knowing the
applications nor how you are trying to deploy them ;)

In the following link you will find several articles addressing different topics, most of the
articles include working examples. These may give you some direction as why you are having issues
with your applications.

http://opensource2.atlassian.com/confluence/oss/display/GERONIMO/Apache+Geronimo+V1+-+Documentation+Draft

HTH

Cheers!