Posted to dev@accumulo.apache.org by Mike Drob <md...@mdrob.com> on 2013/04/24 05:51:45 UTC

JIRA Patch Conventions

Accumulo Devs,

Are there any conventions that we'd like to follow for attaching updated
patches to issues? There are two lines of thought applicable here:

1) Remove the old one and attach the new patch. This has the advantage of
being immediately obvious to future google searchers what the patch was,
especially in case of back porting issues.
2) Leave all patches attached to the ticket, and use a one-up identifier
for each subsequent patch. This preserves context from comments, and might
be useful in other ways.

I've seen both approaches used on Accumulo tickets, and don't have a strong
preference outside of a desire for consistency. I think I'd lean towards
option #2, if only because that means I get one fewer email notification.

As an aside, what is the IP status of submitted patches? I think I remember
hearing that they immediately become part of the Apache Foundation, so
removing them might be a bad idea from that perspective.

Mike

Re: JIRA Patch Conventions

Posted by Brian Loss <bf...@praxiseng.com>.
+1 for this approach

Re: JIRA Patch Conventions

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.
+1 for #2.

Re: JIRA Patch Conventions

Posted by William Slacum <wi...@accumulo.net>.

Re: JIRA Patch Conventions

Posted by Corey Nolet <cn...@texeltek.com>.
#2 as well.

--
Corey Nolet
Senior Software Engineer

Re: JIRA Patch Conventions

Posted by John Vines <vi...@apache.org>.

Re: JIRA Patch Conventions

Posted by Billie Rinaldi <bi...@gmail.com>.

Re: JIRA Patch Conventions

Posted by Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com>.
On 4/24/13 9:32 AM, Keith Turner wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 11:51 PM, Mike Drob <md...@mdrob.com> wrote:
>
>> Accumulo Devs,
>>
>> Are there any conventions that we'd like to follow for attaching updated
>> patches to issues? There are two lines of thought applicable here:
>>
>> 1) Remove the old one and attach the new patch. This has the advantage of
>> being immediately obvious to future google searchers what the patch was,
>> especially in case of back porting issues.
>> 2) Leave all patches attached to the ticket, and use a one-up identifier
>> for each subsequent patch. This preserves context from comments, and might
>> be useful in other ways.
>
>> I've seen both approaches used on Accumulo tickets, and don't have a strong
>> preference outside of a desire for consistency. I think I'd lean towards
>> option #2, if only because that means I get one fewer email notification.
>>
> I agree I would like consistency.   I lean towards 2 also, but I do not
> have a good reason, its just my preference.  We should probably put
> together a page outlining how to submit a patch.  I have seen other
> projects do this.
Ditto.

Re: JIRA Patch Conventions

Posted by Keith Turner <ke...@deenlo.com>.