Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Laurent Sinitambirivoutin <du...@eurosport.com> on 1999/06/28 16:10:57 UTC

about apache-pthreads

Thanks to Manoj Kasichainula, I've understood how to compute the number
of "processes" reported by 'ps aux'
Someone told me that under Linux, threads were reported as regular
processes by ps (but apparently not the user-level threads, cf. nspr).
But something still eludes me: if you set ThreadsPerChild to 40, you
should see ps report : 1+8*(40+1+1) = 337 httpd... but in fact you can
never go above 257... just like a regular non-threaded apache
I mean since these are mostly threads I shouldn't see those kind of
limitations should I ??

--
Laurent.D.Sinitambirivoutin
Root of Eurosport Website

Re: about apache-pthreads

Posted by Khimenko Victor <ap...@khim.sch57.msk.ru>.
28-Jun-99 16:10 you wrote:
LS> Thanks to Manoj Kasichainula, I've understood how to compute the number
LS> of "processes" reported by 'ps aux'
LS> Someone told me that under Linux, threads were reported as regular
LS> processes by ps (but apparently not the user-level threads, cf. nspr).
LS> But something still eludes me: if you set ThreadsPerChild to 40, you
LS> should see ps report : 1+8*(40+1+1) = 337 httpd... but in fact you can
LS> never go above 257... just like a regular non-threaded apache
LS> I mean since these are mostly threads I shouldn't see those kind of
LS> limitations should I ??

You should. Recompile kernel and increase limit. Since threads==processes under
Linux you have the same limitations for them. There are exists patches to
increase number of processes (and threads) up to 32000 (pid_t limitation)
but it's somewhere deep in l-k archives...