Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Paul Welter <pw...@loresoft.com> on 2004/04/29 04:14:29 UTC

Reference to non-existent node error

Help, I'm getting the following error.

D:\svn\repo>svnadmin verify loresoft

* Verified revision 0.

* Verified revision 1.

svn: Reference to non-existent node '0.0.3' in filesystem 'loresoft/db'

I've run svnadmin recover several times with no joy.

All I did was reboot the server.  How could this happen?  Unfortunately,
I don't have a backup.  Is there anyway to recover the data? I've tried
svnadmin dump but that doesn't work?  Are there any other repair tools?

Thanks

Paul

Re: Reference to non-existent node error

Posted by Max Bowsher <ma...@ukf.net>.
Paul Welter wrote:
> Help, I'm getting the following error.
>
> D:\svn\repo>svnadmin verify loresoft
>
> * Verified revision 0.
> * Verified revision 1.
> svn: Reference to non-existent node '0.0.3' in filesystem 'loresoft/db'
>
> I've run svnadmin recover several times with no joy.
>
> All I did was reboot the server.  How could this happen?

Is it possible this corruption existed before the reboot, but had not been
spotted?

Is your repository set to DB_TXN_NOSYNC?

I really don't see how this could have happened - if I understand the
Berkeley DB docs correctly, a simple reboot, even in the middle of a write,
shouldn't be able to cause this.

> Unfortunately, I don't have a backup.

Oops.

> Is there anyway to recover the data? I've tried
> svnadmin dump but that doesn't work?  Are there any other repair tools?

No tools have been written to repair this kind of error.

However, if you are able to put your repository on a web/ftp site, I will
see if I can infer the lost node metadata from other information in the
repository.

Max.

Re: Reference to non-existent node error

Posted by Tristan Seligmann <tr...@quotemaster.co.za>.
On Thu, Apr 29, 2004 at 10:49:48PM +0100, Max Bowsher wrote:
> Four of the database tables contain corrupt data. Oddly, some of the
> database tables contain corrupt data which looks like data from a different
> table! It is certain this corruption did not originate just because of a
> reboot.

I've seen this kind of filesystem damage quite frequently on Windows
when the system has been powered off abruptly; on FAT32, though, not on
NTFS.

--
Tristan Seligmann
Developer / Network Administrator

Re: Reference to non-existent node error

Posted by Max Bowsher <ma...@ukf.net>.
Paul Welter wrote:
> Help, I'm getting the following error.
>
> D:\svn\repo>svnadmin verify loresoft
>
> * Verified revision 0.
> * Verified revision 1.
> svn: Reference to non-existent node '0.0.3' in filesystem 'loresoft/db'
>
> I've run svnadmin recover several times with no joy.
>
> All I did was reboot the server.  How could this happen?  Unfortunately,
> I don't have a backup.  Is there anyway to recover the data? I've tried
> svnadmin dump but that doesn't work?  Are there any other repair tools?

OK, thanks for the repository files, I've inspected them, and I'm afraid
that repository is very very messed up.

Four of the database tables contain corrupt data. Oddly, some of the
database tables contain corrupt data which looks like data from a different
table! It is certain this corruption did not originate just because of a
reboot.

Is the repository on a network drive (bad!) or a local disc?

Did anything happen which might have damaged the repository in the past?

Max.