Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Henri Tremblay <he...@gmail.com> on 2009/06/14 11:17:35 UTC

maven-remote-resources-plugin and org.apache:apache-jar-resource-bundle

Hi,

I'm moving a project to Apache license. The easiest for jar packaging seems
to use the maven-remote-resources-plugin and
org.apache:apache-jar-resource-bundle.

However, I'm annoyed by two lines in the notice:

Since it's an external project, that's just not true.

My question is:

- Is there another bundle for external projects somewhere?
- I don't really need to NOTICE file at all. Is there a way to get rid of
it?
- Or may I suggest a modification to the template to have

#if ($isApacheProject)
#end

with the default being true to be backward compatible.

Thanks a lot,
Henri

Re: maven-remote-resources-plugin and org.apache:apache-jar-resource-bundle

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
Well, a SUGGESTION for a future version of the bundle would be to use
"${project.organization.name}" for that line in the NOTICE.     For Apache
projects, that would be ASF.   For other projects, it would be whatever
organization they set.   Thus, more generic and more usable outside the ASF.

But yes, it wouldn't take much effort to just create his own bundle.

Dan

On Wed June 17 2009 3:27:18 pm jieryn@gmail.com wrote:
> Why doesn't the OP just create his/her own bundle?? I just can't
> understand what the point of all this discussion is. In the time that
> has been wasted on this thread, the OP could have just copied the
> original module and customized the velocity scripts within... UGH.
>
> The stupid thing is like 3 .vm files and a pom. Does this really
> warrant an actual conversation?
> -jesse
>
> On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 3:21 PM, Dennis Lundberg<de...@apache.org> wrote:
> > This bundle has changed over time to make sure that an ASF release that
> > is created using Maven follows the rules for releases set up by the ASF.
> > The bundle has not been designed to be reused for software created
> > outside the ASF.

Daniel Kulp
dkulp@apache.org
http://www.dankulp.com/blog

Re: maven-remote-resources-plugin and org.apache:apache-jar-resource-bundle

Posted by ji...@gmail.com.

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.

Henri Tremblay wrote:
> I'll answer my own question.
>
> It seems that org.apache:apache-jar-resource-bundle versions 1.3 is more
> flexible and so does exactly what I want.
>
> The question is: Why did it "regressed" by forcing the "This product
> includes software developed at The Apache Software Foundation (
> http://www.apache.org/)." entry? Is it because maven, the plugin and the
> bundle content are used? That would be a little harsh since none of these
> are delivered. Any specific reason?
>
> Thanks,
> Henri
>
> On Sun, Jun 14, 2009 at 8:53 PM, Henri Tremblay <he...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Yes :-(
>>
>> But is there a bundle that was made for external projects? And am I right
>> to say that without these two lines (so if there was a if to replace or
>> removed them, the bundle would be usable for external projects?
>>

>> On Sun, Jun 14, 2009 at 11:58 AM, Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>wrote:
>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> The apache-jar-resource-bundle serves one purpose and that is to create
>>> releases that comply with the rules set up by the Apache Software
>>> Foundation. It is a tool for Apache projects. As you have discovered,
>>> that is not necessarily the same thing as a project released under the
>>> Apache license.

>>> seems

>>> of

>>> --
>>> Dennis Lundberg

Dennis Lundberg

Re: maven-remote-resources-plugin and org.apache:apache-jar-resource-bundle

Posted by Henri Tremblay <he...@gmail.com>.
I'll answer my own question.

Posted by Henri Tremblay <he...@gmail.com>.
Yes :-(