Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by peri <er...@hotmail.com> on 2007/11/04 21:27:24 UTC

I got the following error message when I try to start tomcat in Eclipse

Hi,
I try to start tomcat  version 4.1 in eclipse version 3.3.0. I use Windos
Vista operating system. I installed launcher plug-in so i can start and stop
tomcat for eclipse. I use JDK 1.4.16  by the way.
When I try to start tomcat in eclipse I got the following error:
(P.S. I used tomcat 4.1 in windows XP before and i didn't get this error)

GlobalResourcesLifecycleListener: Exception processing Global JNDI Resources
javax.naming.NamingException: Cannot rename original file to C:\Program
Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 4.1\conf\tomcat-users.xml.old
	at org.apache.naming.NamingContext.lookup(NamingContext.java:799)
	at org.apache.naming.NamingContext.lookup(NamingContext.java:135)
	at
org.apache.naming.NamingContextBindingsEnumeration.nextElementInternal(NamingContextBindingsEnumeration.java:121)
	at
org.apache.naming.NamingContextBindingsEnumeration.next(NamingContextBindingsEnumeration.java:80)
	at
org.apache.catalina.mbeans.GlobalResourcesLifecycleListener.createMBeans(GlobalResourcesLifecycleListener.java:157)
	at
org.apache.catalina.mbeans.GlobalResourcesLifecycleListener.createMBeans(GlobalResourcesLifecycleListener.java:128)
	at
org.apache.catalina.mbeans.GlobalResourcesLifecycleListener.lifecycleEvent(GlobalResourcesLifecycleListener.java:96)
	at
org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleSupport.fireLifecycleEvent(LifecycleSupport.java:120)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.start(StandardServer.java:2206)
	at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:459)
	at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.execute(Catalina.java:346)
	at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.process(Catalina.java:130)
	at
	at
	at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:151)
Starting service Tomcat-Standalone
Apache Tomcat/4.1.36-LE-jdk14
javax.naming.NamingException: Cannot rename original file to C:\Program
Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 4.1\conf\tomcat-users.xml.old
	at org.apache.naming.NamingContext.lookup(NamingContext.java:799)
	at org.apache.naming.NamingContext.lookup(NamingContext.java:148)
	at
org.apache.catalina.realm.UserDatabaseRealm.start(UserDatabaseRealm.java:220)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1133)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine.start(StandardEngine.java:311)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.start(StandardService.java:450)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.start(StandardServer.java:2213)
	at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:459)
	at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.execute(Catalina.java:346)
	at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.process(Catalina.java:130)
	at
	at
	at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:151)
Catalina.start: LifecycleException:  No UserDatabase component found under
key UserDatabase
LifecycleException:  No UserDatabase component found under key UserDatabase
	at
org.apache.catalina.realm.UserDatabaseRealm.start(UserDatabaseRealm.java:227)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1133)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine.start(StandardEngine.java:311)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.start(StandardService.java:450)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.start(StandardServer.java:2213)
	at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:459)
	at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.execute(Catalina.java:346)
	at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.process(Catalina.java:130)
	at
	at
	at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:151)
Stopping service Tomcat-Standalone
Catalina.stop: LifecycleException:  Coyote connector has not been started
LifecycleException:  Coyote connector has not been started
	at
org.apache.coyote.tomcat4.CoyoteConnector.stop(CoyoteConnector.java:1382)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.stop(StandardService.java:499)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.stop(StandardServer.java:2248)
	at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:490)
	at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.execute(Catalina.java:346)
	at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.process(Catalina.java:130)
	at
	at
	at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:151)

Can anybody help me to solve this problem
Thank you very much

RE: I got the following error message when I try to start tomcatin Eclipse

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Mark Thomas [mailto:markt@apache.org]
> Subject: Re: I got the following error message when I try to
> start tomcatin Eclipse
>
> Remove Vista and install XP?

Or Linux.  In the meantime, check these messages from a few days and a
month ago:

http://marc.info/?l=tomcat-user&m=119396820732404&w=2
http://marc.info/?l=tomcat-user&m=119167818325496&w=2

The first suggests trying these links for Vista permissions problems:

http://paulstamatiou.com/2007/02/09/how-to-quickie-vista-permissions/

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=You+need+permission+to+perform+this
+action+Vista&btnG=Google+Search

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.

Re: I got the following error message when I try to start tomcat in Eclipse

Posted by peri <er...@hotmail.com>.
I run and install eclipse and tomcat same user. Actually I'm also new in
vista. I have many problem of it.
I'll look at google.
Thank you
Perihan

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by peri <er...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by peri <er...@hotmail.com>.
Actually I didn't change anything in server.xml
I looked at xml editor.

Any information about correction of my error
Thank you
Perihan

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by peri <er...@hotmail.com>.
I aslo tried to lovercase letter in begining of tag name. But still  gave
unknown tag error. So my server.xml cannot pass these xmlvalid program :-(
Here is the sample erro messages :

line 2, C:\Users\user\Documents\server1.xml:
error (1102): tag uses GI for an undeclared element: server
line 2, C:\Users\user\Documents\server1.xml:
error (1203): attribute can't be checked because element is not defined:
server

and in line 2 :
  <server port="8005" shutdown="SHUTDOWN" debug="0">

Thank you
Perihan

mgainty wrote:

> I am very suprised to not see this not reported by the parser in the logs
> but my immediate suggestion is to make sure your input xml is valid
> Check your server.xml here
> http://www.stg.brown.edu/service/xmlvalid
>
> only place valid xml in any of the config files
>
> M--

:-(:-(:-(:-(:-(:-(:-(

Re: I got the following error message when I try to start tomcat in Eclipse

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
peri wrote:
> I clicked the link and upload my server.xml to browser combobox and clicked
> validate button. The result gave mamy error.

As is expected. You can check server.xml for well-formedness but not for
validity.

> As you see "Server port" begin uppercase letter. May I change "Server" to
> server ?

No. It is meant to be Server.

>From everything you have posted so far, server.xml is fine. You have a file
permissions problem.

Mark

Re: I got the following error message when I try to start tomcat in Eclipse

Posted by peri <er...@hotmail.com>.
I clicked the link and upload my server.xml to browser combobox and clicked
validate button. The result gave mamy error. Some of them are in the bellow
:

line 13, C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat
4.1\conf\server.xml:
error (1102): tag uses GI for an undeclared element: Server
line 13, C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat
4.1\conf\server.xml:
error (1203): attribute can't be checked because element is not defined:
Server

when I looked at line 13 the xml code like that :

As you see "Server port" begin uppercase letter. May I change "Server" to
server ?
Most of error like that
Thank you
Perihan