Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com> on 2008/02/19 18:07:08 UTC

[VOTE] Release version 1.0 of commons-build-plugin based on RC1

I'd like to release commons-build-plugin.

Artifacts available for review are here:
http://people.apache.org/~niallp/cbp-1.0-rc1/

SVN Tag:
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/commons/proper/commons-build-plugin/tags/commons-build-plugin-1.0-RC1/

Site:
http://people.apache.org/~niallp/cbp-1.0-rc1/site/

[  ] +1  go ahead and release
[  ] -1   No, because...

Niall

Re: [VOTE] Release version 1.0 of commons-build-plugin based on RC1

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.
+1

Phil

Re: [VOTE] Release version 1.0 of commons-build-plugin based on RC1

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 10:44 PM, Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org> wrote:

> Niall Pemberton wrote:
>  > I'd like to release commons-build-plugin.
>  >
>  > Artifacts available for review are here:
>  > http://people.apache.org/~niallp/cbp-1.0-rc1/
>  >
>  > SVN Tag:
>  > http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/commons/proper/commons-build-plugin/tags/commons-build-plugin-1.0-RC1/
>  >
>  > Site:
>  > http://people.apache.org/~niallp/cbp-1.0-rc1/site/
>  >
>  > [  ] +1  go ahead and release
>  > [  ] -1   No, because...
>  >
>  > Niall
>
>  I've gone through the code and tested the plugins. Here are a few things
>  that I think should be fixed before the final release:
>
>  General
>  - Typos (I took the liberty of fixing these in svn already)

Thanks :)

>  jira-page
>  - Open issues should include Status="In Progress" (in 2 places)

Good point - I've fixed this

>  sandbox-jira-page
>  - Open issues should include Status="In Progress" (in 2 places)
>  - The two links to submit new issues under point 4, should include the
>  componentid in the URL, like this: &components=<commons.jira.componentid>

Good point - I've fixed this

>  download-page
>  - Should the resulting page really be copied to xdocs?
>  Isn't this file supposed to go somewhere else, and be together with cgi
>  scripts to work properly?  As it is now the page is included in the
>  site, but doesn't work.

The generated .html page will need an equivalently named .cgi script
in the same directory - as we have now. I think that having each
download page as part of the components web site rather than part of
the global commons sites is better - since it means the user doesn't
navigate away from the component. This is really just moving what we
have now under http://commons.apache.org/downloads/ to under each
component web site and providing a mechanism to generate the html
page. The only time the download page would need re-generating is when
either a new release is done or if we change the standard template -
so I think it should go into xdocs and be checked into subversion.

>  copy-javadoc-files
>  - Includes too many files. I tested this mojo in codec and the file
>  LICENSE-header.txt was included. We should limit it to exactly these
>  files: LICENSE, LICENSE.txt, NOTICE and NOTICE.txt.

Good point - I've fixed this

Thanks for the feedback

Niall

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
This vote is cancelled since Dennis pointed out some good
improvements/fixes to the plugin and I'm going to roll another RC.

Thanks for everyones comments and votes .

Niall

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 20/02/2008, Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 20, 2008 6:16 PM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
>  >
>  > On 20/02/2008, Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com> wrote:
>  > > On Feb 20, 2008 5:35 PM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
>  > >  > On 20/02/2008, Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com> wrote:
>  > >  > > On Feb 20, 2008 3:56 PM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
>  > >  > >  > On 19/02/2008, Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com> wrote:
>  > >  > >  > > I'd like to release commons-build-plugin.
>  > >  > >  > >
>  > >  > >  > >  Artifacts available for review are here:
>  > >  > >  > >  http://people.apache.org/~niallp/cbp-1.0-rc1/
>  > >  > >  > >
>  > >  > >  > >  SVN Tag:
>  > >  > >  > >  http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/commons/proper/commons-build-plugin/tags/commons-build-plugin-1.0-RC1/
>  > >  > >  > >
>  > >  > >  > >  Site:
>  > >  > >  > >  http://people.apache.org/~niallp/cbp-1.0-rc1/site/
>  > >  > >  >
>  > >  > >  > The dependency page looks a bit odd - does the plugin really require
>  > >  > >  > all those jars?
>  > >  > >
>  > >  > >
>  > >  > > I guess so, but the only specified dependencies are maven-script-ant,
>  > >  > >  ant and ant laucher - so the rest are "inherited"
>  > >  >
>  > >  > I just tried running mvn site:site and it generated a very different
>  > >  > page - only ant, ant-launcher and maven-script-ant were listed as
>  > >  > proper dependencies - the rest were shown as transitive dependencies.
>  > >  > This is as I would expect.
>  > >  >
>  > >  > The site in your home directory seems to have merged the two and
>  > >  > listed all dependencies twice.
>  > >  >
>  > >  > Also my version of the page does not have the Java section.
>  > >
>  > >
>  > > OK I blame you for this ;)
>  > >
>  > >  I have  a local copy of the maven-project-info-reports-plugin which I
>  > >  patched and submitted as an enhancement to show the java version you
>  > >  asked for on other releases. I'll re-generate with the latest release
>  > >  version.
>  >
>  > Thanks.
>  >
>  > Maybe the plugin needs an option to skip the Java version details?
>

> Yup good idea. I submitted two patches to that ticket - what they
>  requested and what I preferred - so far no feedback on them, so I'll
>  wait to see what they do before putting in any more time on it.
>
>  http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MPIR-80

The Java section could depend on whether the source and target
properties are defined - if not, then don't generate the section.

> [...]
>  > >  > >
>  > >  > >
>  > >  > > True, but this is inherited from commons-parent...
>  > >  >
>  > >  > But it can (and should) be overridden for projects that require
>  > >  > different versions.
>  > >
>  > >
>  > > Right, but this is a plugin for internal commons use that runs ant,
>  > >  not java - so while it is *noise* it doesn't really matter - I'll
>  > >  change this in trunk though.
>  > >
>  >
>  > OK, thanks.
>  >
>  > It might perhaps avoid a query in future...
>  >
>  > >
>  > >  > >  > Not much point in having a JDepend report either...
>  > >  > >
>  > >  > >
>  > >  > > Agreed, but this is inherited from commons-parent...
>  > >  > >
>  > >  >
>  > >  > I thought the idea of Commons Parent was to define all the appropriate
>  > >  > plugins and allow sub-projects to use whatever plugins are needed by
>  > >  > them?
>  > >  >
>  > >  > Is it really not possible to override the reports section?
>  > >
>  > >
>  > > Not that I can see - you can include/exclude the standard reports -
>  > >  but if a report is defined in the reporting section I can't see a
>  > >  global way to say "don't run it" - there may be options on individual
>  > >  reports (e.g. I think surefire has one) for this - but jdepend doesn't
>  > >  seem to.
>  > >
>  >
>  > Did some experimenting.
>  >
>  > Try adding this to the reporting/plugins section:
>  >
>  >       <plugin>
>  >         <groupId>org.apache.maven.plugins</groupId>
>  >         <artifactId>maven-surefire-report-plugin</artifactId>
>  >         <reportSets>
>  >            <reportSet/>
>  >         </reportSets>
>  >       </plugin>
>  >
>  >       <plugin>
>  >         <groupId>org.codehaus.mojo</groupId>
>  >         <artifactId>jdepend-maven-plugin</artifactId>
>  >         <reportSets>
>  >            <reportSet/>
>  >         </reportSets>
>  >       </plugin>
>  >
>  > Seems to work for me.
>  > AFAICS it's not possible to omit the <reportSet/> tag.
>  >
>  > It's a bit awkward, but it does seem to work.
>

> Yup works for me so I've added that - thanks - new site uploaded here:

Thanks - looks much better now.

+1

The build process seems OK and the artifacts look OK.
Documentation looks good.
(I've not actually tried using the plugin)

>  > It would be better if the reports could be (de)selected more simply -
>  > e.g. using properties. Perhaps that should be considered for a future
>  > parent pom.
>

> My guess is they would say don't put them in your parent. Really this
>  plugin is an anomaly since its for our use, rather than a component we
>  provide to users. I think for all "proper" components then the reports
>  we have defined are not an issue. Probably the correct solution would
>  be to not inherit from commons-parent - but that means duplicating a
>  load of stuff from the parent and I'm lazy.

Laziness is a virtue here - cut and paste is liable to errors ;-)

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
New site uploaded with corrected dependencies page and "goals" link fixed:

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.