Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com> on 2013/03/28 14:28:57 UTC

[DISCUSS][DOCS] Docs as their own repo? Was: [DISCUSS][TRANSLATION] commit to master or not ?

On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 08:02:59AM -0400, Sebastien Goasguen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been pulling all translations (docs and UI) and committing them in 4.1 branch to make the deadline.
>
> I have not yet committed them to master and now I am wondering if we should.
>
> There would be tons of small files pushed in master.
>
> -Sebastien

Before we get to this, I have a broader question:  Do we want to move
the docs to their own git repo?  We manage them with different rules,
especially WRT code freeze and whatnot.  This translation question just
adds to the logic to pull the repo apart.

-chip

Re: [DISCUSS][DOCS] Docs as their own repo? Was: [DISCUSS][TRANSLATION] commit to master or not ?

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.
On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 10:45:41AM -0400, David Nalley wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 10:34 AM, Chip Childers
> <ch...@sungard.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> This came up once before, and initially I was against having a different
> >> repo - but we've tried it for a while, and maybe it makes sense to break
> >> it out.
> >>
> >> Two questions:
> >>
> >> - one, are we still going to bundle docs into the tarball for release?
> >
> > I'd propose that they are actually a distinct download / artifact for
> > the release.  I'd procedurally release them at the same time as the
> > source artifacts, but I don't think that there's a ton of value in
> > bundling them with the source.  The build processes are different, and
> > packaging doesn't pull in the docs anyway.  Really, our docs are being
> > published to our website as the primary target for distribution right
> > now anyway...
> >

> >> - two, there was a proposal about using docs as tooltips, how would this
> >> affect that if the two are separate trees?
> >
> > Unsure where that proposal went...  and frankly I'm not sure I agree
> > with that approach anyway.
> >

> That proposal moved forward and the first generation is in 4.1 iirc.
> That said it's not in the state originally proposed, and I've been
> struggling to get answers on how it is going to be handled in the
> future.
> If this is a veto from you, lets stop folks from working on it.
>
> --David

Not a veto ATM. Let's take this to a separate thread to discuss.

Re: [DISCUSS][DOCS] Docs as their own repo? Was: [DISCUSS][TRANSLATION] commit to master or not ?

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.

Posted by Joe Brockmeier <jz...@zonker.net>.