Posted to dev@brooklyn.apache.org by Richard Downer <ri...@apache.org> on 2014/12/09 16:54:42 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache Brooklyn 0.7.0-M2-incubating [rc3]

This is to call for a vote for the source release of Apache Brooklyn
0.7.0-M2-incubating.

The source tarball, including signatures, digests, etc can be found at:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/brooklyn/apache-brooklyn-0.7.0-M2-incubating-rc3

The Git commit ID is 3b2eac0df44a8565aa2b4feec546e0a5fb486485
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-brooklyn.git;a=commit;h=3b2eac0df44a8565aa2b4feec546e0a5fb486485

https://people.apache.org/keys/committer/richard.asc

Checksums of apache-brooklyn-0.7.0-M2-incubating-rc0.tar.gz:
MD5: 3df15ee0f5e4b3b42263a4ab559f75bb
SHA1: 7b64f8ae3312e8b26833e8f24392fa4c405cabc5
SHA256: ac60bdbb3e57b681394d1b014cf3a2308d244b8b5e7ec811ab6c0a6d6d1e349d

KEYS file available here:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/incubator/brooklyn/KEYS

Changes since rc2:
- Remove Shockwave Flash files
- Remove .jar and .war files from source release (all used as test
resources); update tests to gracefully handle the missing test
resources

Please vote on releasing this package as Apache Brooklyn 0.7.0-M2-incubating.

The vote will be open for 72 hours.
[ ] +1 Release this package as Apache Brooklyn 0.7.0-M2-incubating
[ ] +0 no opinion

Richard Downer

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Brooklyn 0.7.0-M2-incubating [rc3]

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Dec 12, 2014 at 03:01:02PM +0000, Richard Downer wrote:
> Thanks for your excellent feedback Chip.
>
> On 11 December 2014 at 16:59, Chip Childers <ch...@apache.org> wrote:
> > Question: Although this is a source code release, are you intending to
> > provide a binary distribution as a project? If so, does that
> > distribution include any "bits" from any software not handled by the
> > source release's legal documentation? I ask, only because that would
> > require a different set of LICENSE and NOTICE files that should probably
> > be reviewed as well.
>
> Short answer: no, this release will be source-only. We'll work on a
> binary release for our next release.
>
> Longer answer: we recognised that we would need to make new LICENSE
> and NOTICE files for a binary release (and there would probably be
> other things we need to consider too). As our list of transitive
> dependencies is pretty lengthy, it's quite a lot of work to get the
> binary release fit for release. The source is the most important part,
> so for our first release we decided to concentrate on the source
> release only, in order to avoid it being held up by issues only
> affecting a binary release.
>
> For our next release we will revisit this, as we realise that many of
> our users will be more interested in the binary release.

Makes perfect sense to me...

> > http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html
> >
> > The LICENSE and NOTICE files are a bit off from what's needed. When
> > bundling BSD and MIT licensed code, there isn't a requirement to add
> > anything to the NOTICE file. See "Bundling Permissively-Licensed
> > Dependencies" in the link above.
>
> Thanks. I've revised LICENSE and NOTICE per your suggestion; see this PR:
> https://github.com/apache/incubator-brooklyn/pull/390
>
> TL;DR my revised versions can be viewed in full here:
> https://raw.githubusercontent.com/rdowner/incubator-brooklyn/revise-license-notice/LICENSE
> https://raw.githubusercontent.com/rdowner/incubator-brooklyn/revise-license-notice/NOTICE
>
> Do you think these changes would be satisfactory?

They look good to me. While I think you could probably push forward to
try and get a release voted in without these changes, how the notice
file is used incorrectly will certainly come up within general@i.a.o.

My suggestion would be to merge the PR from above, and then re-spin the
RC (new VOTE).

> > ZeroClipboard.{js,swf} is in NOTICE (which would be moved to LICENSE
> > anyway), but it still talks about the swf file. This is really minor,
> > but could be fixed with the other fixes from above.
>
> We have actually kept the .js file in one of the cases, so I've left
> that in (but removed the swf reference).

Got it.

> > Hope this helps!
>
> Very much :-)

Great.

Posted by Richard Downer <ri...@apache.org>.
Thanks for your excellent feedback Chip.

On 11 December 2014 at 16:59, Chip Childers <ch...@apache.org> wrote:
> Question: Although this is a source code release, are you intending to
> provide a binary distribution as a project? If so, does that
> distribution include any "bits" from any software not handled by the
> source release's legal documentation? I ask, only because that would
> require a different set of LICENSE and NOTICE files that should probably
> be reviewed as well.

Short answer: no, this release will be source-only. We'll work on a
binary release for our next release.

Longer answer: we recognised that we would need to make new LICENSE
and NOTICE files for a binary release (and there would probably be
other things we need to consider too). As our list of transitive
dependencies is pretty lengthy, it's quite a lot of work to get the
binary release fit for release. The source is the most important part,
so for our first release we decided to concentrate on the source
release only, in order to avoid it being held up by issues only
affecting a binary release.

For our next release we will revisit this, as we realise that many of
our users will be more interested in the binary release.

> http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html
>
> The LICENSE and NOTICE files are a bit off from what's needed. When
> bundling BSD and MIT licensed code, there isn't a requirement to add
> anything to the NOTICE file. See "Bundling Permissively-Licensed
> Dependencies" in the link above.

Thanks. I've revised LICENSE and NOTICE per your suggestion; see this PR:
https://github.com/apache/incubator-brooklyn/pull/390

TL;DR my revised versions can be viewed in full here:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/rdowner/incubator-brooklyn/revise-license-notice/LICENSE
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/rdowner/incubator-brooklyn/revise-license-notice/NOTICE

Do you think these changes would be satisfactory?

> ZeroClipboard.{js,swf} is in NOTICE (which would be moved to LICENSE
> anyway), but it still talks about the swf file. This is really minor,
> but could be fixed with the other fixes from above.

We have actually kept the .js file in one of the cases, so I've left
that in (but removed the swf reference).

> Hope this helps!

Very much :-)

Thanks
Richard.

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Brooklyn 0.7.0-M2-incubating [rc3]

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Dec 09, 2014 at 03:54:42PM +0000, Richard Downer wrote:
> This is to call for a vote for the source release of Apache Brooklyn
> 0.7.0-M2-incubating.

Things that look correct to me:

1) No binary files, beyond images, Java keystore and certificate files
2) License headers look good on the source files
3) RAT exclusion list looks OK
4) Bundled external code appears to have perfectly OK license types
(noted ASL, BSD and MIT are the only licenses applying)
5) Required incubator disclosure looks good
6) Release identifies itself as an incubating release

Question: Although this is a source code release, are you intending to
provide a binary distribution as a project? If so, does that
distribution include any "bits" from any software not handled by the
source release's legal documentation? I ask, only because that would
require a different set of LICENSE and NOTICE files that should probably
be reviewed as well.

I do have some comments related to the LICENSE and NOTICE files, specific to this
source code release candidate (and I'll say that this is actually the
hardest thing to get right in a first ASF release).

First, I'm not sure if you've seen this yet:
http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html

The LICENSE and NOTICE files are a bit off from what's needed. When
bundling BSD and MIT licensed code, there isn't a requirement to add
anything to the NOTICE file. See "Bundling Permissively-Licensed
Dependencies" in the link above.

That link talks about an approach to dealing with MIT and BSD licensed
source files that assumes you are using a pointer to a different LICENSE
file within the source tree that's specific to the dependency. TBH,
that's not the most common approach I've seen. Another perfectly valid
approach is to actually include each dependency's LICENSE file within
your project's LICENSE file. See below my signature for an example of
how to structure things.

Last comment:

ZeroClipboard.{js,swf} is in NOTICE (which would be moved to LICENSE
anyway), but it still talks about the swf file. This is really minor,
but could be fixed with the other fixes from above.

Hope this helps!

-chip

Here's an example of how I've included legal documentation for a MIT
licensed artifact and an ASLv2 licensed artifact in the LICENSE file.
I've included [X] markers to help with commenting on what you see below.
This example is from CloudStack, and I'm sure there are other ways to
handle the specific content... It's based on a template created via
Apache Whisker (although I don't recommend using that project since it's
not really being as actively maintained as I would have liked to see).
Others might have specific objections / suggestions to improve this
approach. Also, consider the Licensing HowTo as official guidance, and
the approach here as a suggested model to create a single LICENSE
file.

[1]
This distribution contains third party resources.

[2]
Within the console-proxy/js directory

[3]
    licensed under the MIT License http://www.opensource.org/licenses/mit-license.php  (as follows)

[4]
    Copyright (c) 2009, John Resig

    Permission is hereby granted, free  of charge, to any person obtaining
    a  copy  of this  software  and  associated  documentation files  (the
    "Software"), to  deal in  the Software without  restriction, including
    without limitation  the rights to  use, copy, modify,  merge, publish,
    distribute,  sublicense, and/or sell  copies of  the Software,  and to
    permit persons to whom the Software  is furnished to do so, subject to
    the following conditions:

    The  above  copyright  notice  and  this permission  notice  shall  be
    included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software.

    THE  SOFTWARE IS  PROVIDED  "AS  IS", WITHOUT  WARRANTY  OF ANY  KIND,
    EXPRESS OR  IMPLIED, INCLUDING  BUT NOT LIMITED  TO THE  WARRANTIES OF
    MERCHANTABILITY,    FITNESS    FOR    A   PARTICULAR    PURPOSE    AND
    NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE
    LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION
    OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE,  ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION
    WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.

    from John Resig
        jquery.js

[5]
Within the patches/systemvm/debian/config/etc/apache2 directory
    licensed under the Apache License, Version 2 http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0.txt  (as above)
    Copyright (c) 2012 The Apache Software Foundation
    from The Apache Software Foundation  http://www.apache.org/
        httpd.conf
        ports.conf
        sites-available/default
        sites-available/default-ssl
        vhostexample.conf

[1] - This line appears right after the text of the ASLv2
[2] - This line sets the context for where the specific files being
discussed are located
[3] - This notes the specific license in question
[4] - This is a copy of the license from the source project
[5] - This is an example of where the content is licensed via the ASLv2,
making it a simple reference to the ASLv2 copy at the top of the file.

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Brooklyn 0.7.0-M2-incubating [rc3]

Posted by Richard Downer <ri...@apache.org>.
+1 (binding)

- Hashes and GPG signatures validate
- Source code builds and unit tests pass
- Sample deployment to cloud location works
- No .jar, .war, .swf or other suspicious file extensions present
- DISCLAIMER present and correct, artifact names and contents include
"incubating"
- LICENSE and NOTICE seem sane

Posted by Richard Downer <ri...@apache.org>.
Thanks Svet, you're right, I can reproduce it now.

So the workaround is to run "mvn clean install" instead of simply "mvn install".

Richard.

Posted by Svetoslav Neykov <sv...@cloudsoftcorp.com>.

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Dec 12, 2014 at 03:36:22PM +0000, Richard Downer wrote:
> Could you help me with a point about incubator votes? I notice that
> your vote is "binding", and that you are on the IPMC. I had assumed
> that on this vote (to dev@brooklyn list) binding votes were only from
> the Brooklyn PPMC, including the Brooklyn mentors. Is it the case that
> an IPMC member can always issue binding votes wherever a PPMC can?
>
> Not that this is a complaint of course - the more binding votes the better :-)

Any IPMC votes you get on this list count as binding for a release vote.
It's actually great to come into the IPMC list with three (truly)
binding release +1 votes. ;-)

-chip

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Brooklyn 0.7.0-M2-incubating [rc3]

Posted by Richard Downer <ri...@apache.org>.

Posted by Hadrian Zbarcea <hz...@gmail.com>.
+1 (binding) contingent on noting the issues below and following up with
another rc soon-ish.

I am torn on this one. My decision to +1 is supported by the following:
* this is a release candidate
* it's a pre 1.0 version
* the test error is not new
* the build error is for tooling not actual functionality (although part
of getting started).

Findings:
1. Keys verify ok. See the warning [1] below, I think it should be
addressed for a future release. The key is available however on a public
server [2].
2. Notice, license files, ok.
3. Build from source distro without running tests gives an error [3]
4. Build from source distro and running tests gives another error [4], I
think it is known one.
5. Sources are in the "brooklyn" package, I think moving to
"org.apache.brooklyn" would be a mandatory prerequisite for graduation.
Easier to get it done earlier.
6. Does work with other tests/environments I use.

Cheers,
Hadrian

[1] see below
-----------------
gpg: Signature made Tue 09 Dec 2014 10:32:54 AM EST using RSA key ID
1801208C
gpg: Good signature from "Richard Downer <ri...@apache.org>"
gpg:                 aka "Richard Downer <ri...@frontiertown.co.uk>"
gpg:          There is no indication that the signature belongs to the
owner.
Primary key fingerprint: 2CEF 1CDD E034 7C7A 6322  0653 144E 29F0 1801 208C
-----------------

[2] https://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=vindex&search=0x144E29F01801208C

[3] see below
-----------------
[INFO] Brooklyn Quick-Start Project Archetype ............ FAILURE [0.722s]
[INFO] ...
[INFO]
[INFO] BUILD FAILURE
[INFO]
[ERROR] Failed to execute goal
org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-archetype-plugin:2.2:integration-test
(default-integration-test) on project brooklyn-archetype-quickstart:
[ERROR] Archetype IT 'integration-test-1' failed:
org.apache.maven.archetype.exception.ArchetypeGenerationFailure: Error
merging velocity templates: Unable to find resource
'archetype-resources/pom.xml'

[4] see below
-----------------
Failed tests:
SensorResourceTest.testGet:170->doSensorTest:143->doSensorTestUntyped:161 expected
["12345 frogs"] but found [12345 frogs]
SensorResourceTest.testGetRaw:196->doSensorTest:143->doSensorTestUntyped:160
» ClientHandler

[INFO] Brooklyn REST Server .............................. FAILURE [38.223s]
-----------------

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Dec 09, 2014 at 04:46:44PM +0000, Richard Downer wrote:
> Chip,
>
> Essentially it comes down to:
>
> rsync -rtp --exclude .git\* --exclude '**/*.[ejw]ar' git-repo-dir
> release-staging-dir
>
> The longer form is: https://paste.apache.org/0IE2
> I've been working on that script for this release. Providing it's not
> screwed up the release somehow, the script will be committed to the
> repository for use in future releases and its use documented.
>
> Thanks
> Richard.

Perfect answer. Thanks Richard!

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Brooklyn 0.7.0-M2-incubating [rc3]

Posted by Richard Downer <ri...@apache.org>.
Chip,

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@apache.org>.