Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Stefan Seelmann <ma...@stefan-seelmann.de> on 2018/08/23 04:38:43 UTC

Studio Release and remaining issues (Mac)

Hi all,

I think we can soon start with the Studio release. I see two remaining
issues, related to Mac platform that I want to address:

Signing the DMG:
* https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DIRSTUDIO-1176

Studio reported ad defective/corrupted software:
* https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DIRSTUDIO-1185
* https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DIRSTUDIO-1140

The ASF has a code signing service [1], but that only supports Windows
and Java Jars. For signing the DMG it seems we have to register at
developer.apple.com. I'll do that to get familiar with the procedure and
test it. Long term I'd prefer to use an organization (ASF or Apache
Directory) to sign instead of individual account.

I'll also look into some Mac-as-a-service platforms [2] to be able to
test the DMG on different MacOS versions.

I hope to start the release process this weekend or early next week.

Kind Regards,
Stefan

[1] https://reference.apache.org/pmc/codesigning
[2] https://www.macincloud.com/

Re: Studio Release and remaining issues (Mac)

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Hi Stefan,

Le 23/08/2018 à 06:38, Stefan Seelmann a écrit :
> Hi all,
>
> I think we can soon start with the Studio release. I see two remaining
> issues, related to Mac platform that I want to address:
>
> Signing the DMG:
> * https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DIRSTUDIO-1176

Yes, this is something we also have to get fixed for ApacheDS installer.

As far as I can see, we need to use the codesign utility, and have an
Apple developer ID [1]. I have one, ftr.

> Studio reported ad defective/corrupted software:
> * https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DIRSTUDIO-1185
> * https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DIRSTUDIO-1140
>
> The ASF has a code signing service [1], but that only supports Windows
> and Java Jars.

And it costs money to the ASF :/

For signing the DMG it seems we have to register at
> developer.apple.com. I'll do that to get familiar with the procedure and
> test it. Long term I'd prefer to use an organization (ASF or Apache
> Directory) to sign instead of individual account.

That's something we might ask Infra for, but in the mean time using our
own develiper ID should be enough.

In any case, we need to document that step in the verious developer
guides (Studio and ApacheDS).

> I'll also look into some Mac-as-a-service platforms [2] to be able to
> test the DMG on different MacOS versions.

Very good idea !

> I hope to start the release process this weekend or early next week.

Great ! I'll have a look at the Studio performance issue [1] today, to
see if there is a way to speed up the schema loading one step further.

Thanks for the feedback, Stefan !

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DIRSTUDIO-1174

--
Emmanuel Lecharny