Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Shailesh R Sah <sr...@hclinsys.com> on 2001/05/25 13:00:41 UTC

java.lang.OutOfMemoryError

hi,
i am giving details as follows of my site and problem

Server configuration :

HardWare:
Pentium 800 MHz.
512 MB RAM
18 GB Hard Disk
Global line server.

Software Loaded:
Red Had linux 6.2
Jdk1.2.2 for linux
Jakarta-tomcat-3.2.1

A Seperate Server is there for Oracle.

Total No. of JSPs on the server:
500Jsps

Services Running:
Apache, jakarta-tomcat

Swap space:
2GB

>From the Last 2-3 weeks
1) The Tomcat is getting  killed automatically. This is happening more
frequently sometimes 4

times a day .The tomcat has to be started manually. The tomcat server is
showing an error of out

of memory(java.lang.OutOfMemoryError).Reports are attached in this
document.

2) The top service is not running. .

3)Swap memory is 2GB

What might be the possible possible reason???
Is it that the tomcat cannot handle 500-600 Jsps??

Kindly help out as the website is business critical.
(See below for error details)

As the problem is occuring daily.I am drawing a lot of flak at office as
being a staunch

supporter of open source and collabarative s/w movement i went for
linux/tomcat combination.
And now my decision is being questioned.Can u tell me of any source on the
basis of which i can

present the case of linux/tomcat combination or sites using lots of
jsps(500-600)

I am giving below the error coming in the tomcat console.

java.lang.OutOfMemoryError:
        at java.io.InputStreamReader.<init>(InputStreamReader.java:86)
        at java.io.InputStreamReader.<init>(InputStreamReader.java:55)
        at java.io.FileReader.<init>(FileReader.java:35)
        at
_0002findex_0002ejspindex_jsp_3._jspService(_0002findex_0002ejspindex
_jsp_3.java:634)
        at
org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:126)
        at
org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspServlet$JspServletWrapper.service(JspSer
vlet.java:174)
        at
org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:2
61)
        at
org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:369)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.core.ServletWrapper.handleRequest(ServletWrapper.ja
va:503)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.service(ContextManager.java:559
)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.service.connector.Ajp12ConnectionHandler.processCon
nection(Ajp12ConnectionHandler.java:156)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.service.TcpWorkerThread.run(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:36
6)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.util.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java
:411)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:475)
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError:
        at org.apache.tomcat.util.MimeHeaders.<init>(MimeHeaders.java:133)
        at org.apache.tomcat.util.MimeHeaders.<init>(MimeHeaders.java:141)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.core.ResponseImpl.<init>(ResponseImpl.java:96)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.service.http.HttpResponseAdapter.<init>(HttpRespons
eAdapter.java:91)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.service.connector.AJP12ResponseAdapter.<init>(Ajp12
ConnectionHandler.java:433)

Thankx
shailesh