Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Tamás Cservenák <ta...@cservenak.net> on 2012/08/07 23:20:57 UTC

Maven Indexer Changes

Hi there,

Olivier did a great job of releasing Maven Indexer 4.1.3 that bumped Lucene
to 3.6.1.

But, having Lucene 3.6.1 in MI makes us now possible to do more. Here is a
branch I did today:
https://github.com/cstamas/maven-indexer/commits/fixes

Basically, it has following changes:
* Removed heavy uses of StringBuffer, replaced with StringBuilder
* Version bumped to 4.5.0-SNAP (from 4.1.4-SNAP) as changes below
introduces API breakage (especially how you "acquire" IndexSearcher from
context, needed to properly implement locking semantics)
* Removed bottle warmer threads completely
* Removed problematic locking around contexts as we rely now on Lucene
* Using new SearcherManager (see
http://blog.mikemccandless.com/2011/09/lucenes-searchermanager-simplifies.html)
instead of doing all this manually + relying on those removed stuff above
* Removed deprecated baggage

Changes above renders issues MINDEXER-52 and alike actually a "non-issues".

Please comment the changes.

Thanks,
~t~

Re: Maven Indexer Changes

Posted by Tamás Cservenák <ta...@cservenak.net>.
It's something not needed when you are breastfeeding :p

Thanks,
~t~ mobile

Re: Maven Indexer Changes

Posted by Kristian Rosenvold <kr...@gmail.com>.

Re: Maven Indexer Changes

Posted by Mark Derricutt <ma...@talios.com>.
For what its worth, Java 6's EOL just got pushed out till Feb 2013:

https://blogs.oracle.com/henrik/entry/java_6_eol_h_h

Mark

Re: Maven Indexer Changes

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
Perso, in 2012 I don't see any issue being 1.6 required.
Especially for a component which is not used in core neither in any plugin.

Olivier Lamy
Talend: http://coders.talend.com

Re: Maven Indexer Changes

Posted by Markku Saarela <ma...@pp6.inet.fi>.
HI,

JDK6's EOL is Feb 2013
(http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/eol-135779.html), so it's near.

Markku

Re: Maven Indexer Changes

Posted by Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org>.

Re: Maven Indexer Changes

Posted by Tamás Cservenák <ta...@cservenak.net>.
Ok. As I said, java6 is not a must. Will be undone and merge prepared.

Thanks,
~t~ mobile

Re: Maven Indexer Changes

Posted by Chris Graham <ch...@gmail.com>.

Re: Maven Indexer Changes

Posted by Milos Kleint <mk...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Aug 9, 2012 at 2:33 AM, Brett Porter <br...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 09/08/2012, at 5:43 AM, Tamás Cservenák <ta...@cservenak.net> wrote:
>

>> In essence: not really needed for now, as Lucene 3.6.1 is fine on Java5,
>> and IOEx new constructor is used in very few places.... but we can go back
>> in time for 233 years for now.
>
> I don't have a problem with updating it if there's something useful to take advantage of, knowing the user-base of the library. In other libraries, we don't need to upgrade just for the sake of it, of course.

netbeans is using the indexer extensively, already on 1.6 for some time.

Re: Maven Indexer Changes

Posted by Tamás Cservenák <ta...@cservenak.net>.
Brett and others,

I rolled back MI to Java5, but I agree, due to API breakage I did bump the
version to 5.0.0-SNAPSHOT.

https://github.com/cstamas/maven-indexer/commits/fixes

As for "consumer" side code, few examples:

Maven Indexer Examples updated to represent needed changes (commented on
API changes for clarity sake, but I had some reformats happening too, sorry
for that):
https://github.com/cstamas/maven-indexer-examples/commit/eb38e442889d072d380c8fb18e5f35a5dd372076

Other example might be Nexus itself, here is a branch (from yesterday,
where MI version is still 4.5.0-SNAP but API is already the same as in
5.0.0-SNAP):
https://github.com/sonatype/nexus/commit/e8301d4cf93b7dba5d10988124696262b1786433

As you see, the "API breakage" actually depends very much on how you use
MI, as for example Nexus code _had no changes_ (only one UT doing low-level
stuff to bring index into some specific state). If you did not tamper with
"low level" access of it by using IndexSearcher directly, you might be
lucky and need no change at all :)

Thanks,
~t~

Re: Maven Indexer Changes

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
On 09/08/2012, at 5:43 AM, Tamás Cservenák <ta...@cservenak.net> wrote:

> In short: Java6 EOL is coming in months now, users running 1.5 and below
> should really consider an upgrade.
> A bit longer: Java6 1st release happened in 2006, 6 years ago. In our
> profession, that is around 70 years old, 6 years corresponds to -- for
> example in optics (first known lenses are about 700 BC according to
> wikipedia) -- to roughly 233 years. So, in case you wear spectacles, would
> you wear these today http://www.sptddog.com/sotp/18thcent.jpg ?

LOL.

> In essence: not really needed for now, as Lucene 3.6.1 is fine on Java5,
> and IOEx new constructor is used in very few places.... but we can go back
> in time for 233 years for now.

I don't have a problem with updating it if there's something useful to take advantage of, knowing the user-base of the library. In other libraries, we don't need to upgrade just for the sake of it, of course.

Perhaps with this requirement, and the API breakage you indicated, the version could bump to 5.0.0-SNAPSHOT? I like the semantic versioning rules (semver.org).

- Brett

--
Brett Porter
brett@apache.org