Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Torsten Curdt <tc...@vafer.org> on 2004/03/12 17:54:18 UTC

Re: Using Maven (or something similar) for dependencies? (Was: Co coon's Rhino+continuations fork)

 > Obviously, the kind of tricks being talked about here would
> not allow us to redistribute Cocoon. Our customers would have to get it
> themselves - which, of course, is totally unacceptable.

Wait, wait, wait... from what I understand you may!
...but *you* would have take care to respect all the
licenses that are included in this redistribution
by *yourself*! Seems like the ASF wants to step back
not covering the risk anymore.

Or am I here on the wrong track?
--
Torsten

Re: Using Maven (or something similar) for dependencies? (Was: Co coon's Rhino+continuations fork)

Posted by Joerg Heinicke <jo...@gmx.de>.
On 12.03.2004 17:54, Torsten Curdt wrote:

> Wait, wait, wait... from what I understand you may!
> ...but *you* would have take care to respect all the
> licenses that are included in this redistribution
> by *yourself*! Seems like the ASF wants to step back
> not covering the risk anymore.

But if that's true what's the right to exist for the ASF from just the
legal point of view? They break exactly this part what made it popular
to use Apache stuff: mostly no risk through any legal issues.

These copyright and license issues can really jam all the (open source)
software development - but what happens when they introduce software
patents additionally in Europe?

Joerg

Re: Using Maven (or something similar) for dependencies? (Was: Co coon's Rhino+continuations fork)

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Le Vendredi, 12 mars 2004, à 17:54 Europe/Zurich, Torsten Curdt a écrit
:

> > Obviously, the kind of tricks being talked about here would
>> not allow us to redistribute Cocoon. Our customers would have to get
>> it
>> themselves - which, of course, is totally unacceptable.
>
> Wait, wait, wait... from what I understand you may!
> ...but *you* would have take care to respect all the
> licenses that are included in this redistribution
> by *yourself*! Seems like the ASF wants to step back
> not covering the risk anymore....

That's how I understood it as well. But you're right that we should
wait on more info/decisions from the board before going too far with
the licensing discussions (which, again and IMHO, are distinct from a
decision about using Maven-like smart download tools or not).

-Bertrand