Posted to dev@velocity.apache.org by Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com> on 2006/03/06 06:58:09 UTC

dev vs user vs guides

i was just scanning the so-called "developer guide" on the website to
see what logging control properties were documented there, and i had a
tangential thought that never occured to me before.

the "user guide" and "developer guide" don't correlate to the
velocity-user and velocity-dev lists.  so i think perhaps some of
those who post user questions to the dev list do so because they
relate to the "developer guide" on the website.

perhaps we should rename the guides on the website to prevent such
confusion.  essentially, the "User Guide" teaches people how to write
templates in VTL.  the "Developer Guide" teaches people how to develop
applications that use Velocity.

i haven't thought long about better names, but perhaps something along
the lines of:

User Guide -> How to Write Templates
Developer Guide -> How to Use Velocity

better name ideas are welcome...

and as a bonus thought: you could probably break the Developer Guide
into two guides, one more focused on using Velocity and another on the
configuration minutia (which is not even fully documented).  then we
could have guides on:  Writing Templates, Using Velocity,
Configuration Options.

Re: dev vs user vs guides

Posted by Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com>.
On 3/26/06, Henning P. Schmiedehausen <hp...@intermeta.de> wrote:
> "Nathan Bubna" <nb...@gmail.com> writes:
>
> >perhaps we should rename the guides on the website to prevent such
> >confusion.  essentially, the "User Guide" teaches people how to write
> >templates in VTL.  the "Developer Guide" teaches people how to develop
> >applications that use Velocity.
>
> >i haven't thought long about better names, but perhaps something along
> >the lines of:
>
> >User Guide -> How to Write Templates
> >Developer Guide -> How to Use Velocity
>
> >better name ideas are welcome...
>
> Nathan,
>
> these are excellent ideas. One of the first things that I did was to
> take stock of the existing docs and put them into a mind mapping
> tool. I can really recommend Freemind (freemind.sf.net) which is open
> source and free.

i'll have to check it out...

> >and as a bonus thought: you could probably break the Developer Guide
> >into two guides, one more focused on using Velocity and another on the
> >configuration minutia (which is not even fully documented).  then we
> >could have guides on:  Writing Templates, Using Velocity,
> >Configuration Options.
>
> Hm. I'd think that the developers guide should focus on "programming
> with Velocity" and the "how to configure Velocity" is basically an
> Appendix to it. One of the problems with many xdoc driven sites is,
> that documentation is spread out too thin over many pages.

yeah, i like the idea of the configuration section being an appendix.
it really is more of a reference/lookup-table then a tutorial-type
section.  now, if i could only find some time to do this.... :)

Re: dev vs user vs guides

Posted by "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <hp...@intermeta.de>.

Re: dev vs user vs guides

Posted by Will Glass-Husain <wg...@forio.com>.
makes sense to me.  We often beat up people for posting user questions to
the "developer's list" when it's only natural that they consider themselves
developers.

On 3/5/06, Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com> wrote:

> i was just scanning the so-called "developer guide" on the website to
> see what logging control properties were documented there, and i had a
> tangential thought that never occured to me before.
>
> the "user guide" and "developer guide" don't correlate to the
> velocity-user and velocity-dev lists.  so i think perhaps some of
> those who post user questions to the dev list do so because they
> relate to the "developer guide" on the website.
>
> perhaps we should rename the guides on the website to prevent such
> confusion.  essentially, the "User Guide" teaches people how to write
> templates in VTL.  the "Developer Guide" teaches people how to develop
> applications that use Velocity.
>
> i haven't thought long about better names, but perhaps something along
> the lines of:
>
> User Guide -> How to Write Templates
> Developer Guide -> How to Use Velocity
>
> better name ideas are welcome...
>
> and as a bonus thought: you could probably break the Developer Guide
> into two guides, one more focused on using Velocity and another on the
> configuration minutia (which is not even fully documented).  then we
> could have guides on:  Writing Templates, Using Velocity,
> Configuration Options.

Forio Business Simulations

Will Glass-Husain
phone (415) 440-7500 x89