Posted to user@lucenenet.apache.org by Rob Vesse <rv...@dotnetrdf.org> on 2011/08/11 17:51:58 UTC

[Lucene.Net] Combining Lucene.Net and dotNetRDF?

Hi All

I wondered if anyone had already tried to integrate dotNetRDF and
Lucene.Net since I noticed one of your contributors was involved in a
hackathon [1] related to my project [2] back in June.  So if anyone has any
existing code for this that they are willing to share I'd be interested to
see it.

On a similar note has anyone looked at converting SIREn (a plugin for
Lucene in pure Java) that is designed specifically for RDF indexing to
.Net?  It's likely that this may get done anyway as part of adding Lucene
integration to dotNetRDF but again don't want to reinvent the wheel if
somebody is already looking at this.

Regards,

Rob Vesse

[1] http://opensourcebridge.org/sessions/730
[2] http://www.dotnetrdf.org

Re: [Lucene.Net] Combining Lucene.Net and dotNetRDF?

Posted by Troy Howard <th...@gmail.com>.
Hi Rob!

That was me (as well as Eric Sterling and Adron Hall). Unfortunately I
don't have anything ready to publish yet from that work.

Regarding SIREn, I've looked into it, and I'm considering porting it.
One possible barrier is that it was developed against Lucene 3.0, and
Lucene.Net is currently at 2.9.4 compatibility. Porting may be
difficult, depending on wether they used features that are unique to
Lucene 3.0, and wether there is a reasonable way to port code that
uses those 3.0 features back to 2.9.4 API.

I think it's a great idea to start a SIREn porting project, and if
you're interested in being involved in that, we could put together a
quick project site on bitbucket (my preference) or github.

One of my intentions was to make a network accessible triple store
(e.g. database server) using ZMQ (for comms) and Lucene.Net (for the
triple store) and dotNetRDF/LinqToRDF for the queries. My intention
was to start with LinqToRDF, serializing an expression tree, sending
that across the wire to the database service, as opposed to using a
typical database server interface using a string based query in a
human readable DSL.

The downside of that approach is that clients would have to be .NET
specific (or be able to serialize a native expression tree such that
it could be deserialized into a LinqToRDF tree)... So the
text-based-query approach is more portable. Porting SIREn could be a
big help towards that goal. Ultimately I'd like to support both
interfaces, but my intention was to start with the Linq interface, and
avoid the whole process that most Linq interfaces have (which is an
intermediate serialization of the query into some kind of DSL like SQL
or XML or whatever..).

I'm pretty flexible about that though.

Thanks,
Troy