Posted to dev@hive.apache.org by vihang karajgaonkar <vi...@apache.org> on 2023/06/08 05:14:28 UTC

Hive 4.0 branching

Hello Dev community,

I noticed that we have a branch-4.0.0-alpha1 and branch-4.0.0-alpha-2 but I
don't see a branch-4. Does anyone know which branch would be used to cut
out the final 4.0.0 release and when would a branch-4 be available?

Thanks,
Vihang

Re: Hive 4.0 branching

Posted by Ayush Saxena <ay...@gmail.com>.
Hi Vihang,
Regarding " branch-4.0.0-alpha1 and branch-4.0.0-alpha-2" : Those branches
were created for releasing those alpha1 & alpha2 versions.
Currently, the master branch points to 4.0.0-Snapshot [1], so that would be
used for the next release. A branch would be cut from the current master
branch.

So, in an ideal scenario, we would have cut a branch off the master branch
and named it as branch-4.0.0 and used it for releasing the hive-4 version.
This thread [2] has details around the next releases, We have decided to
have one more beta release before the 4.0.0 release, so a branch like
branch-4.0.0-beta1 would be created from master and then post that beta
release when we go for 4.0.0 release,

As per the timelines: 4.0.0-beta1 branch should be there by next week & may
be a release vote by End of Month, and then we would be planning for hive-4
GA release in a couple of months time, when we sort out all the release
blockers for that release.

Hope I didn't contribute more to the confusion :-)

-Ayush

[1]
https://github.com/apache/hive/blob/a73194342cf99a907531565e0c98af7effb79637/pom.xml#L24
[2] https://lists.apache.org/thread/vpr0hfypf9f3g7lffwk4pz5g5g59qwzh