Posted to dev@isis.apache.org by Dan Haywood <da...@haywood-associates.co.uk> on 2012/11/08 09:02:18 UTC

[RESULT] [VOTE] move to using git rather than svn for Isis code

The vote was to select between:

1. carry on using svn.
2. use git.apache.org as a read-only clone, with svn remaining as the
master.
3. use git.apache.org as a read/write master.

The community voted for (3).

Votes cast:
- for (3):
    +4 PMC (Dan Haywood, Jeroen van der Wal, Robert Matthews, Kevin Meyer)
    +4 community (Henry Saputra, Matthew Adams, Giedrius Grazevicius,
Vangjel Stavro)
- no preference stated:
    +2 PMC (Mohammad Nour El-Din, Dave Slaughter)

No other votes were cast.

I am now closing this vote, and will raise a ticket with INFRA to effect
the change.  I recommend that committers perform no further commits to svn
until this has been done.

I will also start preparing some usage notes for those who are newbies to
git.

Re: [RESULT] [VOTE] move to using git rather than svn for Isis code

Posted by Dan Haywood <da...@haywood-associates.co.uk>.
I've now raised ticket [1] for infra to move the code.  Looking at other
similar tickets, this might take a few days to do, but I'll keep you
informed of progress.

Picking up on Alexander's comments, I'll also prepare some guidance on a
workflow that I hope will work for newbies and experienced hands alike.

Posted by Alexander Krasnukhin <th...@gmail.com>.

On Thu, Nov 8, 2012 at 11:59 AM, Jeroen van der Wal <je...@stromboli.it>wrote:

> CouchDB has a useful page [1] about contributing using Git which could be
> adopted. I especially like there emphasis on creating branches for tickets.
>
> For the newbies, the main Git site [2] has loads of information including
> the free 230 page Pro Git e-book. If you have 15 minutes to spare  you
> could try the nice 15 minutes interactive tutorial [3]
>
> [1] http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/ContributorWorkflow
> [2] http://git-scm.com/
> [3] http://try.github.com/levels/1/challenges/1
>
> --
> Jeroen van der Wal
> Stromboli b.v.
> +31 655 874050
>

> On Thu, Nov 8, 2012 at 9:02 AM, Dan Haywood <dan@haywood-associates.co.uk
> >wrote:
>
> > The vote was to select between:
> >
> > 1. carry on using svn.
> > 2. use git.apache.org as a read-only clone, with svn remaining as the
> > master.
> > 3. use git.apache.org as a read/write master.
> >
> > The community voted for (3).
> >
> > Votes cast:
> > - for (3):
> >     +4 PMC (Dan Haywood, Jeroen van der Wal, Robert Matthews, Kevin
> Meyer)
> >     +4 community (Henry Saputra, Matthew Adams, Giedrius Grazevicius,
> > Vangjel Stavro)
> > - no preference stated:
> >     +2 PMC (Mohammad Nour El-Din, Dave Slaughter)
> >
> > No other votes were cast.
> >

> > I am now closing this vote, and will raise a ticket with INFRA to effect
> > the change.  I recommend that committers perform no further commits to
> svn
> > until this has been done.
> >
> > I will also start preparing some usage notes for those who are newbies to
> > git.

Alexander

Re: [RESULT] [VOTE] move to using git rather than svn for Isis code

Posted by Jeroen van der Wal <je...@stromboli.it>.