Posted to user@mahout.apache.org by Hi There <sr...@yahoo.com> on 2013/12/09 18:53:32 UTC

Re: Mahout and Hadoop 2.2.0

Is Dec 2013 still the intended release date of the next mahout release that will be compatible with Hadoop 2.2.0?

On Thursday, November 21, 2013 12:36 PM, Suneel Marthi <su...@yahoo.com> wrote:

Targeted for Dec 2013.

On Thursday, November 21, 2013 3:26 PM, Hi There <sr...@yahoo.com> wrote:

Thanks for the reply! Is there a timeline for then the next release will be?

Thanks,
Victor

On Tuesday, November 19, 2013 7:30 PM, Suneel Marthi <su...@yahoo.com> wrote:

Hi Victor,

Future releases of Mahout will support Hadoop 2.x, the present codebase still only supports Hadoop 1.x.

On Tuesday, November 19, 2013 1:42 PM, Hi There <sr...@yahoo.com> wrote:

Hello,

I recently upgraded to hadoop's
newest release, and it seems one of their interfaces has changed, and
when I try to create sparse vectors from sequence files, I get the
following exception:

java.lang.IncompatibleClassChangeError: Found interface org.apache.hadoop.mapreduce.Counter, but class was expected

I can include more of the stack trace if necessary.

Are there any plans in the immediate future to upgrade mahout to be compatible with the newest hadoop release?

Thanks,
Victor

Re: Mahout and Hadoop 2.2.0

Posted by Suneel Marthi <su...@yahoo.com>.
Sebastian,

R we still using SplitInputJob, seems like its been replaced by a much newer SplitInput.
Do u think this needs to be purged from the codebase for 0.9, its been marked as deprecated anyways?

On Wednesday, December 11, 2013 2:08 PM, Suneel Marthi <su...@yahoo.com> wrote:

A quick search thru the codebase has the following using old mapred :-

DistributedRowMatrix
SplitInputJob
MatrixMultiplicationJob
BtJob
TransposeJob
TimesSquaredJob
ABtJob
ABtDenseOutJob
BtJob
QJob
QRFirstStep

On Wednesday, December 11, 2013 2:01 PM, Sebastian Schelter <ss...@googlemail.com> wrote:

I think there are still parts of the code (e.g. in DistributedRowMatrix)
that use the old API.

--sebastian

Re: Mahout and Hadoop 2.2.0

Posted by Suneel Marthi <su...@yahoo.com>.

Re: Mahout and Hadoop 2.2.0

Posted by Sebastian Schelter <ss...@googlemail.com>.

Re: Mahout and Hadoop 2.2.0

Posted by Suneel Marthi <su...@yahoo.com>.
> [...]

>>> Victor
>>>

>>> On Tuesday, November 19, 2013 7:30 PM, Suneel Marthi <su...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Victor,
>>>
>>> Future releases of Mahout will support Hadoop 2.x, the present codebase still only supports Hadoop 1.x.
>>>

>>> On Tuesday, November 19, 2013 1:42 PM, Hi There <sr...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>>

>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I recently upgraded to hadoop's
>>> newest release, and it seems one of their interfaces has changed, and
>>> when I try to create sparse vectors from sequence files, I get the
>>> following exception:
>>>
>>> java.lang.IncompatibleClassChangeError: Found interface org.apache.hadoop.mapreduce.Counter, but class was expected
>>>
>>> I can include more of the stack trace if necessary.
>>>
>>> Are there any plans in the immediate future to upgrade mahout to be compatible with the newest hadoop release?

>>> Victor

Re: Mahout and Hadoop 2.2.0

Posted by Gokhan Capan <gk...@gmail.com>.
Hi Zoltan,

I am saying that hadoop2-stable and hadoop1 are binary compatible. I don't know what version of hadoop is used in cdh4-mr2 but I guess it was hadoop2 alpha, since bigtop was at hadoop 2.0.6 alpha last time I checked, which was last week.

Just try it and let us know if you experience a problem.

PS: We're currently working on building mahout against hadoop2 by the way

Best

Re: Mahout and Hadoop 2.2.0

Posted by Zoltan Prekopcsak <pr...@gmail.com>.
Hi Gokhan,

> [...]

>>> Victor
>>>

>>> On Tuesday, November 19, 2013 7:30 PM, Suneel Marthi <su...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Victor,
>>>
>>> Future releases of Mahout will support Hadoop 2.x, the present codebase still only supports Hadoop 1.x.
>>>

>>> On Tuesday, November 19, 2013 1:42 PM, Hi There <sr...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>>

>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I recently upgraded to hadoop's
>>> newest release, and it seems one of their interfaces has changed, and
>>> when I try to create sparse vectors from sequence files, I get the
>>> following exception:
>>>
>>> java.lang.IncompatibleClassChangeError: Found interface org.apache.hadoop.mapreduce.Counter, but class was expected
>>>
>>> I can include more of the stack trace if necessary.
>>>
>>> Are there any plans in the immediate future to upgrade mahout to be compatible with the newest hadoop release?

>>> Victor

Re: Mahout and Hadoop 2.2.0

Posted by Gokhan Capan <gk...@gmail.com>.
In the meantime, you might apply the patch in MAHOUT-1354, build mahout
using mvn package -Phadoop2 -DskipTests=true, use that mahout version and
see if that works

Gokhan

Re: Mahout and Hadoop 2.2.0

Posted by Gokhan Capan <gk...@gmail.com>.

Re: Mahout and Hadoop 2.2.0

Posted by Hi There <sr...@yahoo.com>.

Re: Mahout and Hadoop 2.2.0

Posted by Gokhan Capan <gk...@gmail.com>.

Re: Mahout and Hadoop 2.2.0

Posted by Suneel Marthi <su...@yahoo.com>.
Per this link, one notability incompatibility is Counter and CounterGroup.

http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/r2.2.0/hadoop-mapreduce-client/hadoop-mapreduce-client-core/MapReduce_Compatibility_Hadoop1_Hadoop2.html

On Wednesday, December 11, 2013 2:46 PM, Hi There <sr...@yahoo.com> wrote:

I tried to run SparseVectorsFromSequenceFiles, specifying a directory with sequence files, and I got the following error:

java.lang.Exception: java.lang.IncompatibleClassChangeError: Found interface org.apache.hadoop.mapreduce.Counter, but class was expected

Re: Mahout and Hadoop 2.2.0

Posted by Hi There <sr...@yahoo.com>.

Re: Mahout and Hadoop 2.2.0

Posted by Gokhan Capan <gk...@gmail.com>.