Posted to user@whirr.apache.org by Ashish <pa...@gmail.com> on 2012/03/02 08:03:26 UTC

Facing WHIRR-146 with 0.7.0

I am facing https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/WHIRR-146 in 0.7.0
Using CDH

I am debugging an OOME issue with one of the Map tasks.

Here are the opts that I set in receipe

hadoop-mapreduce.mapred.child.java.opts=-Xms5G -Xmx5G
-XX:-HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError -XX:HeapDumpPath=/mnt/tmp/
-XX:+UseCompressedOops -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC
-XX:CMSInitiatingOccupancyFraction=75
-XX:ErrorFile=/mnt/tmp/java_error%p.log

Here is what the line from the task logs which has failed

<property><!--Loaded from

the mapred-site.xml has correct entry

<property>
    <name>mapred.child.java.opts</name>
    <value>-Xms5G -Xmx5G -XX:-HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError
-XX:HeapDumpPath=/mnt/tmp/ -XX:+UseCompressedOops
-XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:CMSInitiatingOccupancyFraction=75
-XX:ErrorFile=/mnt/tmp/java_error%p.log -XX:PrintGCDateStamps
-XX:+PrintGCDetails -XX:+PrintGCApplicationStoppedTime
-Xloggc:/mnt/tmp/gc_%p.log</value>
  </property>

Any suggestions what I might be missing?

thanks
ashish

Re: Facing WHIRR-146 with 0.7.0

Posted by Ashish <pa...@gmail.com>.
@Marco - Yup. My search lead me to all the threads you posted and
seems likes I walked exactly your path :)

@Joris - Recipe is not different. It same, just couple of extra params

Here are the diff ones, nothing unusual

hadoop-mapreduce.mapred.child.java.opts=-Xms512M -Xms512M
hadoop-hdfs.dfs.replication=2
hadoop-mapreduce.mapred.tasktracker.reduce.tasks.maximum=2
hadoop-mapreduce.mapred.tasktracker.map.tasks.maximum=2

hadoop-mapreduce.mapred.map.child.java.opts=-Xms512M -Xms512M
hadoop-mapreduce.mapred.reduce.child.java.opts=-Xms512M -Xms512M

hadoop-env.JAVA_HOME=/usr/java/jdk1.6.0_30

The problem with my AMI was, it already had /data drive and a small
one. So just added line in configure_cdh_hadoop.sh script to remove
that drive and use /mnt (which is part of code). It took me a while to
smoothen the things out, but it worked.
2nd thing was we had a root user as well. So at some places need to
use sudo like here

if [ ! -e /data ]; then sudo ln -s /mnt /data; fi

@Andrei - Is it possible to make scripts more configurable? like in
configure_cdh_hadoop.sh we have /data as hardcoded, we could have a
base from where all this would be installed. Some thing like

mkdir -p /data/hadoop

mkdir -p <BASE_DIR>/hadoop

Hope it helps

thanks all !

ashish

Re: Facing WHIRR-146 with 0.7.0

Posted by Andrei Savu <sa...@gmail.com>.

Re: Facing WHIRR-146 with 0.7.0

Posted by Marco Didonna <m....@gmail.com>.
On 2 March 2012 19:27, Ashish <pa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Damm ran into https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/WHIRR-490
>
> moved to 0.7.1 and its running.. fewww...
>
> but a good thing was, got to hack a bit into whirr... made some minor
> changes to functions to make stuff work custom AMI :)

It runs because version 0.7.1 has this
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/WHIRR-490 bug fixed

Re: Facing WHIRR-146 with 0.7.0

Posted by Ashish <pa...@gmail.com>.