Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Jeff Jensen <je...@upstairstechnology.com> on 2005/07/14 15:34:23 UTC

[m2] plugin matrix - status meaning of plugins in list

How do I know the difference between a plugin that will not get converted to
M2 and one that is planned but not done yet?  A follow on question on that
is - When a plugin is on the list with the red X in M2 column, what does
that mean?

For example, M1 plugins we use that do not have a green check mark or N/A in
the M2 column

Cruise control
Dashboard
Junit report
JXR
Simian
Validator

Or is it assumed that all will eventually get either replaced or converted?

I would also like to confirm that this list is only for tracking plugins
shipping with Maven, e.g. not the SF plugins.

Re: [m2] plugin matrix - status meaning of plugins in list

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On Thu, 2005-07-14 at 10:36 -0500, Jeff Jensen wrote:
> Quoting Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>:

> Great.  Can I then request the following additions to the list?:
> cobertura
> findbugs
> lint4j
> qalab

Added.

> > Hope that helps.
>
> Indeed it does, thank you.  A suggestion I have as a result is to add these
> kinds of notes/explanations to the top of that page for those like me who do
> not understand!  :-)  Just some simple bullet points.  For example, something
> like:

Thanks, I've added your notes to the matrix. Thanks!

--
jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason at maven.org
http://maven.apache.org

and sit softly on your shoulder ...

 -- Thoreau

Re: [m2] plugin matrix - status meaning of plugins in list

Posted by Jeff Jensen <je...@upstairstechnology.com>.
Quoting Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>:

> On Thu, 2005-07-14 at 08:34 -0500, Jeff Jensen wrote:

[snip]

> > I would also like to confirm that this list is only for tracking plugins
> > shipping with Maven, e.g. not the SF plugins.
>
> We're trying to track all publicly available plugins. In m2 no plugins
> ship with the core, they are downloaded transparently as needed.

Great.  Can I then request the following additions to the list?:
cobertura
findbugs
lint4j
qalab

> Hope that helps.

Indeed it does, thank you.  A suggestion I have as a result is to add these
kinds of notes/explanations to the top of that page for those like me who do
not understand!  :-)  Just some simple bullet points.  For example, something
like:

<ul>
  <li>This list compares plugin availability between M1 and M2, tracking all
publicly available plugins.</li>
  <li>If a publicly available plugin is not on the list, please email the Maven
users list asking to add it.</li>
  <li>Note that in M2, no plugins ship with the core.  M2 downloads them
transparently as needed.</li>
  <li>A red X in the M2 column means the plugin is not yet available for
M2.</li>
  <li>We hope to convert all plugins in a priority order (popularity?) and as
time permits.</li>
  <li>We need folks in the community to help out with the porting effort.</li>
  <li>If you can convert a plugin from M1 to M2, please email the Maven users
list to have your comments added.</li>
</ul>

Thank you again for the info.

Re: [m2] plugin matrix - status meaning of plugins in list

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On Thu, 2005-07-14 at 08:34 -0500, Jeff Jensen wrote:
> How do I know the difference between a plugin that will not get converted to
> M2 and one that is planned but not done yet?

This is just a list to compare what is available in m1 versus m2. We are
hoping people add comments to those plugins they wish to convert. We
would like to convert all of them but as time permits. We're hoping
folks in the community help out with the porting effort.

> A follow on question on that
> is - When a plugin is on the list with the red X in M2 column, what does
> that mean?

It means that plugin is not available for m2 yet.

> For example, M1 plugins we use that do not have a green check mark or N/A in
> the M2 column
>
> Cruise control
> Dashboard
> Junit report
> JXR
> Simian
> Validator

Right, they have not been converted yet.

> Or is it assumed that all will eventually get either replaced or converted?

Yes.

jason at maven.org
http://maven.apache.org

Three people can keep a secret provided two of them are dead.

 -- Unknown