Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Hontvari Jozsef <ho...@solware.com> on 2003/06/17 10:58:53 UTC

endless loop in james, null pointer in AbstractRedirect.getTo, v2.2.0a5 bug?

Today morning the hard disk was filled up with this error message (there
were only 1 gigabyte free space):

17/06/03 06:10:11 ERROR spoolmanager: An error occurred processing
Mail1055793958781-800 through bounce
17/06/03 06:10:11 ERROR spoolmanager: Result was bounce
17/06/03 06:10:11 ERROR spoolmanager: Exception in processor <bounce>
java.lang.NullPointerException
 at
org.apache.james.transport.mailets.AbstractRedirect.getTo(AbstractRedirect.j
ava:491)
 at
org.apache.james.transport.mailets.AbstractRedirect.service(AbstractRedirect
.java:852)
 at
org.apache.james.transport.LinearProcessor.service(LinearProcessor.java:439)
 at
org.apache.james.transport.JamesSpoolManager.process(JamesSpoolManager.java:
442)
 at
org.apache.james.transport.JamesSpoolManager.run(JamesSpoolManager.java:371)
 at
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.thread.impl.ExecutableRunnable.execute(Executabl
eRunnable.java:47)
 at
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.thread.impl.WorkerThread.run(WorkerThread.java:8
0)

Processor usage of James was 100% as well.

I have attached the email which is referenced in the error message (I think
at least that is it). I am using the NotifySender, Forward, NotifyPostmaster
mailets, which are descendants of AbstractRedirect.

(I use a private build, so this is not exacty the v2.2.0a5 version. Indeed
it dispayed a very different version number, but likely that doesn't mean
anything. I updated the source from CVS yesterday.)

RE: endless loop in james, null pointer in AbstractRedirect.getTo, v2.2.0a5 bug?

Posted by Vincenzo Gianferrari Pini <vi...@praxis.it>.
Joszef,

There was a bug introduced by me in v2.2.0a5 causing the endless loop.

It should be fixed in the attached source. Please test it and let me know.

The cause for the exception itself is another story, and it was happening somehow in the "old" NotifySender if for any reason there was no sender in the Mail object: a sendmail was issued with recipients set to null. I'll have to check everywhere this potential situation (if I understood it correctly) and behave accordingly.

Vincenzo

Posted by Hontvari Jozsef <ho...@solware.com>.

Posted by Vincenzo Gianferrari Pini <vi...@praxis.it>.