Posted to dev@hivemind.apache.org by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com> on 2007/05/15 17:02:47 UTC

HiveMind Board Report (May 2007)

NEWS

- A HiveMind-2.0-apha-1 release was cut.
- I have requested that someone else take over the reigns as chair of the
HiveMind project.  My work schedule has left me with little time.  As of
yet, none of the committers has taken me up on the offer.  They all seem to
be just as busy as me.

SVN ACTIVITY (02/14/2007 - 03/15/2007)

HiveMind2: There were 236 commits with the last one occurring on 02/19.
Achim performed all commits.

HiveMind1: There were no commits.

NOTES

The HiveMind development community struggles to maintain itself.  All of our
active committers are busy with other endeavors (work, other projects like
Tapestry5, etc.).  What happens to a top-level project if its development
community dwindles away?

Re: HiveMind Board Report (May 2007)

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
On 5/15/07, James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com> wrote:

> NOTES
>
> The HiveMind development community struggles to maintain itself.  All of our
> active committers are busy with other endeavors (work, other projects like
> Tapestry5, etc.).  What happens to a top-level project if its development
> community dwindles away?

We discussed this in the meeting.

If the development dwindles away - no biggy. Consider Excalibur or Tcl
which are both Apache projects who have had their quiet times.
Sometimes the activity flares up again, other times not.

If however there's no volunteer to be the chair, and I recommend
talking to J Aaron Farr about the expected workload for being such a
chair, then the project would have to be closed down.

Personally, I suspect the ASF site will have a page like
http://jakarta.apache.org/site/retired-projects.html one of these
days.

Hen