Posted to dev@tapestry.apache.org by Paul Ferraro <pm...@columbia.edu> on 2005/03/19 02:18:40 UTC

[VOTE] Release 3.0.3

I finished patching/fixing all of the big issues identified with the
last release.  With any luck, this will be the last release for the 3.0
branch.
This vote will run for one week.  A +1 vote is to release Tapestry
3.0.3.  I will be able to start the release once the votes are tallied.

To summarize, the 3.0.3 release will contain the following changes:
* Fixes security flaw in asset service.
* JanitorThread now terminates explicitly when servlet is destroyed.
Interruption properly terminates thread during sweep operation.
* Fixed bug preventing DatePicker calendar window from closing
automatically if onchange event handler is not specified.
* DatePicker onchange event now only fires when date changes.
* Patch for bad translation in ValidationStrings_zh_TW.properties
* Patch for bad translation in ValidationStrings_zh_CN.properties
* Fixed incorrect test for enabling rendering of element in
FormConditional component.
* Fixes missing type attribute of script tag in Body component.
* Fixes improper engine cleanup when client aborts a request.
* Build scripts are now Java 1.5 friendly.

Paul Ferraro: +1 (binding)

Re: [VOTE] Release 3.0.3

Posted by Paul Ferraro <pm...@columbia.edu>.
There are several reason for storing ResourceChecksumSource in the engine:
1.) So that can be accessed from both the AssetService and from
PrivateAsset.
2.) So that the internal cache of computed checksum values can be reset
when the engine is reset.
2.) So that it can be stored in the servlet context

The engine is really the natural place for it, at least in a
non-HiveMind world.

I hear your concern.  Ideally, interface changes should be reserved for
major releases, but due to the severity of the security issue, I think
this fix is in order.  I did think about the impact of modifying an
established interface, but concluded that a.) it way the best and most
natural implementation; b) nobody would realistically be impacted.

What do other people think?

Paul

Re: [VOTE] Release 3.0.3

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Release 3.0.3

Posted by Paul Ferraro <pm...@columbia.edu>.
Erik Hatcher wrote:

> Paul,
>
> First - kudos for picking up the ball on this one.  I strongly believe
> keeping the 3.0.x line of Tapestry alive and healthy is best for the
> community and the fixes you've put in are much needed.
>
> All tests pass?

Of course :).

Re: [VOTE] Release 3.0.3

Posted by "matthew c. mead" <m-...@goof.com>.
  public ResourceChecksumSource getResourceChecksumSource();

was added to IEngine to allow an overridable source of message digests
for the asset service. It was also implemented in the AbstractEngine
class with a default of MD5. Howard's corresponding fix to the 3.1 tree
that inspired this patch used dependency injection via HiveMind.

If someone implements IEngine directly, you're right, they could end up
with a compile error because of this addition.

I'm +1 for the release despite this, assuming my vote counts at all. ;)

-matt

Re: [VOTE] Release 3.0.3

Posted by Geoff Longman <gl...@gmail.com>.
I think the interface change your spotted Erik is
IEngine.getResourceChecksumSource().

Isn't that the backport of Howards fix for the asset security hole?

Geoff

Re: [VOTE] Release 3.0.3

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
Paul,

Re: [VOTE] Release 3.0.3

Posted by David Solis <ds...@gmail.com>.
David Solis: +1 (binding)

Re: [VOTE] Release 3.0.3

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
Howard Lewis Ship: +1 (binding)

Great work!

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 17:18:40 -0800, Paul Ferraro <pm...@columbia.edu> wrote:
> I finished patching/fixing all of the big issues identified with the
> last release.  With any luck, this will be the last release for the 3.0
> branch.
> This vote will run for one week.  A +1 vote is to release Tapestry
> 3.0.3.  I will be able to start the release once the votes are tallied.
>
> To summarize, the 3.0.3 release will contain the following changes:
> * Fixes security flaw in asset service.
> * JanitorThread now terminates explicitly when servlet is destroyed.
> Interruption properly terminates thread during sweep operation.
> * Fixed bug preventing DatePicker calendar window from closing
> automatically if onchange event handler is not specified.
> * DatePicker onchange event now only fires when date changes.
> * Patch for bad translation in ValidationStrings_zh_TW.properties
> * Patch for bad translation in ValidationStrings_zh_CN.properties
> * Fixed incorrect test for enabling rendering of element in
> FormConditional component.
> * Fixes missing type attribute of script tag in Body component.
> * Fixes improper engine cleanup when client aborts a request.
> * Build scripts are now Java 1.5 friendly.
>
> Paul Ferraro: +1 (binding)

Howard M. Lewis Ship
Creator, Jakarta Tapestry
Creator, Jakarta HiveMind

Re: [VOTE] Release 3.0.3

Posted by "Brian K. Wallace" <br...@transmorphix.com>.

I agree that this would probably be more appropriate as RC1. As
interested as people have been in 3.0.3, I'm sure it would only be a
prelude to a release but it would be better to go through RC1 than find
out there needs to be a 3.0.4 to readdress issues from 3.0.3.

Excellent work on putting this together. It's very good (community-wise)
to see more committers taking a lead in releases.

+1 (non-binding)

Re: [VOTE] Release 3.0.3

Posted by Tsvetelin Saykov <ts...@rushmore-digital.com>.
Hi,

+1 for 3.0.3

As I can see the changes are bug fixes and I don't think that we need
to start process with RC.

Ceco

PS I don't think that the changes of the  IEngine interface at this stage is
a good idea but we can take the risk - acceptable one. In future we need to
avoid this.

Re: [VOTE] Release 3.0.3

Posted by Mind Bridge <mi...@yahoo.com>.
Hi,

+1 for 3.0.3.

I do think however that the code must pass through an RC for a couple of
weeks before the final version is released. If a minor problem pops up, this
approach will at least allow it to be fixed before 3.0.3 is declared final
and will avoid a need for 3.0.4.

Best regards,
-mb

Re: [VOTE] Release 3.0.3

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
On Mar 19, 2005, at 1:46 PM, Paul Ferraro wrote:
> 3.) regarding a release candidate:
> I would have no objections to that.  What do others think?

Seems like a good idea, given the handful of changes going into this.

	Erik

Re: [VOTE] Release 3.0.3

Posted by Paul Ferraro <pm...@columbia.edu>.
A few quite comments...
1.) regarding computation impact:
Developers can override AbstractEngine.createResourceChecksumSource() to
change/tweak the implementation.  The existing ResourceChecksumSourceImp
implementation allows you to specifiy the hash algorithm (default is
MD5) in its constructor.  You could easily specify a cheaper algorithm
(e.g. MD2) or more secure algorithm (e.g. SHA-512).  A CRC32 or
Adler32-based implementation (I considered including one) will result in
much faster checksum computation.

2.) regarding significance of cache size:
The existing ResourceChecksumSourceImp implementation also allows you to
specifiy the encoding scheme (default is Hex) in its constructor.  Using
Base64 encoding would result in smaller strings to cache.  It's not
much, but it helps.   The checksum values from the
java.util.zip.Checksum classes, when converted to a string, are also
smaller than the encoded digests returned by the default
implementation.  Perhaps the map used to cache computed checksum values
could also be a constructor parameter so that a developer can easily
tune the initial size, or even the implementation (e.g. WeakHashMap for
the jdk 1.4 folks).

Re: [VOTE] Release 3.0.3

Posted by Richard Lewis-Shell <rl...@mac.com>.
Nice work Paul.