Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Jean-Paul Hamerton <j....@zylom.com> on 2006/03/14 08:47:04 UTC

Linking files together so commited changes updates both

We are all new to SVN at my work, and we are learning as we go.
We have SVN server running on linux, but we all use TortoiseSVN on Window
XP.
I installed SVN as I have asked this question in the TortoiseSVN mailing
list and the said try here.

I looked but as always it's a bit hard to find the right words to look for.

I have 2 CPP files that are the same in the SVN project but different
directories. When I update one I have to always have to update the other.

I would like not to have to do this last step as some times I forget.
I was thinking to move all this stuff to a "common" directory.
But I thought maybe SVN can do this for me just have 2 files that are linked
together if you update one the other is always updated.

any help?

thx

jippie

Re: Linking files together so commited changes updates both

Posted by Nico Kadel-Garcia <nk...@comcast.net>.
Marc Haisenko wrote:
> On Tuesday 14 March 2006 09:47, Jean-Paul Hamerton wrote:
>> I have 2 CPP files that are the same in the SVN project but different
>> directories. When I update one I have to always have to update the
>> other.
>>
>> I would like not to have to do this last step as some times I forget.
>> I was thinking to move all this stuff to a "common" directory.
>> But I thought maybe SVN can do this for me just have 2 files that are
>> linked together if you update one the other is always updated.
>>
>> any help?
>>
>> thx
>
> No SubVersion can't do this... some version control systems a capable
> of such things but I personally think this is potentially dangerous:
>
> Imagine you could link them together so that changes in one file
> appear in the other. Your file is now existing in two different
> contexts. Imagine, one year from now, you have forgotten that they
> are linked and change it in one context and a few days later some
> developer working on the second context is wondering why his
> application is crashing all the time... even worse is when it's the
> customer experiencing problems because of this.

Don't remind me: I went through this with a symlink change in Perforce,
which proceeded to allegedly accept the symlink change in the repository,
but didn't actually change the link. When I checked it out, it pointed to
the old location and I proceeded to mess up a critical configuration file
that I thought pointed to a development location.

This was..... a problem.

Fortunately for me, subversion seems to handle symlinks much, much better.

Re: Linking files together so commited changes updates both

Posted by Marc Haisenko <ha...@comdasys.com>.
On Tuesday 14 March 2006 09:47, Jean-Paul Hamerton wrote:
> I have 2 CPP files that are the same in the SVN project but different
> directories. When I update one I have to always have to update the other.
>
> I would like not to have to do this last step as some times I forget.
> I was thinking to move all this stuff to a "common" directory.
> But I thought maybe SVN can do this for me just have 2 files that are
> linked together if you update one the other is always updated.
>
> any help?
>
> thx

No SubVersion can't do this... some version control systems a capable of such
things but I personally think this is potentially dangerous:

Imagine you could link them together so that changes in one file appear in the
other. Your file is now existing in two different contexts. Imagine, one year
from now, you have forgotten that they are linked and change it in one
context and a few days later some developer working on the second context is
wondering why his application is crashing all the time... even worse is when
it's the customer experiencing problems because of this.

So having a "common" directory would be a better solution as it is immediately
obvious that this directory is shared. You might also read about "externals"
in the SubVersion book, that could probably ease up your task (especially
since Windows unfortunately doesn't support symlinks...)

> jippie

C'ya,
	Marc

--