Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com> on 2000/01/09 04:54:29 UTC

Ideally, when configure runs, it should load some "defaults" which is
really should know about (for example, it should have the knowledge about
whether to include HSREGEX or not depending on the platform, same
as 1.3 does). These should be over-ridable, of course, but ./configure
should do some of these.

What is the general preference: do this internal to configure or
as an outside function that configure calls? The latter assumes some
sort of "hints" file that configure uses to pre-load the cache as
it were.
                "Are you suggesting coconuts migrate??"

Re: Loading platforms defaults for configure

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
On Sat, 8 Jan 2000, Jim Jagielski wrote:
> Ideally, when configure runs, it should load some "defaults" which is
> really should know about (for example, it should have the knowledge about
> whether to include HSREGEX or not depending on the platform, same
> as 1.3 does). These should be over-ridable, of course, but ./configure
> should do some of these.
>
> What is the general preference: do this internal to configure or
> as an outside function that configure calls? The latter assumes some
> sort of "hints" file that configure uses to pre-load the cache as
> it were.

Internal: that's what I've always seen and it works well. It also presumes
much less from the environment (which is what configure is there to find
out!). Keeping it internal also seems easier than passing data back and
forth.

Cheers,
-g

--