Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Andre Fischer <aw...@gmail.com> on 2012/08/09 09:38:20 UTC

Quickstarter

Hi,

I am currently testing a fix for showstopper bug 120476.  I am doing
this on a 64 bit Ubuntu 12.04 (building install sets is an order of
magnitude faster than on windows.)  During that I observed a hang when
closing the office.  It is caused by the quickstarter: starting
OpenOffice with the command line option -quickstart=no lets me close the
office cleanly.

Now my question: did we activate the quickstarter on Linux on purpose?
If so, we may have a small problem at least on Ubuntu 12.04 and probably
on any Linux that uses a GTK based UI that is not Gnome-2: I have no
quickstarter button anywhere on the screen, that would a) indicate that
the quickstarter is active and that b) would allow me to deactivate it.

Regards,
Andre

Re: Quickstarter

Posted by Andre Fischer <aw...@gmail.com>.
On 09.08.2012 19:51, Kay Schenk wrote:

> On 08/09/2012 12:38 AM, Andre Fischer wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am currently testing a fix for showstopper bug 120476.  I am doing
>> this on a 64 bit Ubuntu 12.04 (building install sets is an order of
>> magnitude faster than on windows.)  During that I observed a hang when
>> closing the office.  It is caused by the quickstarter: starting
>> OpenOffice with the command line option -quickstart=no lets me close the
>> office cleanly.
>>
>> Now my question: did we activate the quickstarter on Linux on purpose?
>> If so, we may have a small problem at least on Ubuntu 12.04 and probably
>> on any Linux that uses a GTK based UI that is not Gnome-2: I have no
>> quickstarter button anywhere on the screen, that would a) indicate that
>> the quickstarter is active and that b) would allow me to deactivate it.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Andre
>
> Andre--
>
> see this conversation about enabling quickstarter
>
> http://markmail.org/message/bjoks73rwt7jp6gr

Ah, thanks.  I remember now that I had seen this. (but due to switching
my mail account I could no longer find it with my mail reader)

> Apparently, there was some concern that we weren't consistent with
> different platforms and I believe the consensus was to enable it for
> all platforms (though I was dissenting on this).

I we want to keep it then we should think about providing an icon (with
context menu) for all platforms that don't have one at the moment
(probably any modern GTK based Linux).

Re: Quickstarter

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

On 08/09/2012 12:38 AM, Andre Fischer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am currently testing a fix for showstopper bug 120476.  I am doing
> this on a 64 bit Ubuntu 12.04 (building install sets is an order of
> magnitude faster than on windows.)  During that I observed a hang when
> closing the office.  It is caused by the quickstarter: starting
> OpenOffice with the command line option -quickstart=no lets me close the
> office cleanly.
>
> Now my question: did we activate the quickstarter on Linux on purpose?
> If so, we may have a small problem at least on Ubuntu 12.04 and probably
> on any Linux that uses a GTK based UI that is not Gnome-2: I have no
> quickstarter button anywhere on the screen, that would a) indicate that
> the quickstarter is active and that b) would allow me to deactivate it.
>
> Regards,
> Andre

Andre--

see this conversation about enabling quickstarter

http://markmail.org/message/bjoks73rwt7jp6gr

Apparently, there was some concern that we weren't consistent with
different platforms and I believe the consensus was to enable it for all
platforms (though I was dissenting on this).

Use Options -> Tools -> Memory to disable it.

(Also some discussion about making this more "user friendly".)

MzK

"I'm just a normal jerk who happens to make music.
  As long as my brain and fingers work, I'm cool."
                               -- Eddie Van Halen

Re: Quickstarter

Posted by Andre Fischer <aw...@gmail.com>.
On 10.08.2012 16:01, Ariel Constenla-Haile wrote:
> Hi
>
> On Thu, Aug 09, 2012 at 09:38:20AM +0200, Andre Fischer wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am currently testing a fix for showstopper bug 120476.  I am doing
>> this on a 64 bit Ubuntu 12.04 (building install sets is an order of
>> magnitude faster than on windows.)  During that I observed a hang
>> when closing the office.  It is caused by the quickstarter: starting
>> OpenOffice with the command line option -quickstart=no lets me close
>> the office cleanly.
> what do you mean by "hang"? A dead-lock? I haven't seen any dead-lock
> there, what happens is that the quick starter implements a termination
> listener that prevents the office from been terminated; you have to quit
> the office from the quickstarter icon on the system tray; I guess your
> bug in Ubuntu is that you can't find the icon anywhere.

Exactly.  I am aware that not many people will start OpenOffice from the
command line and those that do are probably able to press Ctrl-C.  It
just is an unexpected behavior.

>> Now my question: did we activate the quickstarter on Linux on
>> purpose?
> No, the quickstart is activated if there is a link in
> ~/.config/autostart/ pointing to
> $INSTALL_PREFIX/openoffice.org3/program/../share/xdg/qstart.desktop
>
> This link is created/removed when the user checks/unchecks Tools
> - Options - OOo - Memory - Enable systrat Quickstarter

I wonder how many people will find this switch.

>> If so, we may have a small problem at least on Ubuntu
>> 12.04 and probably on any Linux that uses a GTK based UI that is not
>> Gnome-2: I have no quickstarter button anywhere on the screen, that
>> would a) indicate that the quickstarter is active and that b) would
>> allow me to deactivate it.
> This might be only the crappy non-upstream Ubuntu; on vanilla Gnome 3,
> as provided by Fedora, the status icons from Gnome 2 are displayed in
> the Message Panel[1] on the bottom, this panel autohides, to display it go
> with the mouse to the right bottom corner:
> http://people.apache.org/~arielch/images/aoo-gnome3-systray.png
> This behaviour can be changed with some gnome-shell extensions that
> allow showing the status icons on the top panel. For example:
> https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/99/evial-status-icon-forerver/
> https://github.com/MrTheodor/gnome-shell-ext-icon-manager

Are there other distributions that ship Gnome 3?   Ubuntu ranks second
place on distrowatch and may be the only distribution that, with unity,
uses a window manager that is not very close to either Gnome 2, Gnome 3,
or KDE.

That means, that most distributions other than Ubuntu may display the
quickstarter icon.  Maybe the users of other distributions can do a
quick search on their desktop and tell us whether they can see the icon?

-Andre

Re: Quickstarter

Posted by Ariel Constenla-Haile <ar...@apache.org>.
Hi

--
Ariel Constenla-Haile
La Plata, Argentina

Re: Quickstarter

Posted by Armin Le Grand <Ar...@me.com>.
	Hi,

On 09.08.2012 09:38, Andre Fischer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am currently testing a fix for showstopper bug 120476.  I am doing
> this on a 64 bit Ubuntu 12.04 (building install sets is an order of
> magnitude faster than on windows.)  During that I observed a hang when
> closing the office.  It is caused by the quickstarter: starting
> OpenOffice with the command line option -quickstart=no lets me close the
> office cleanly.
>
> Now my question: did we activate the quickstarter on Linux on purpose?
> If so, we may have a small problem at least on Ubuntu 12.04 and probably
> on any Linux that uses a GTK based UI that is not Gnome-2: I have no
> quickstarter button anywhere on the screen, that would a) indicate that
> the quickstarter is active and that b) would allow me to deactivate it.
>
> Regards,
> Andre

Uhh, sounds like lots of system-dependent problems, even
distrubution-dependent and desktop-manager dependent, and there,
version-dependent probably.

I want to remind on the 'Should quickstarter be enabled or disabled by
default?' discussion where we also discussed to completely remove it.

When it seems that the only advantage is on windows and for starting AOO
after reboot and during the first (3-5) minutes I want to repeat the
suggestion to remove it.

It's a problem that should be left to the instance which could best
solve it: The systems which get smarter and faster every day.

Of course we should also do what is possible to make the first start
experience better, but as Joost hinted in the discussion, there may be
better possibilities today for the windows case; maybe the quickstart
solution (whic was done when first startup took between 30-45 seconds)
is not the best anymore.

(I also remember to have heard that Mozilla solves the problem by
linking all libs to a single executable, is that true? Nothing I want to
suggest, just curious.)

As can be seen, it has costs to keep it; we need people with
system-specific knowledge and knowledge about quickstarter to keep it
alive and to fix bugs there.

Just my 2 cent...

Sincerely,
	Armin