Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Annie Mignault <AM...@AmikaNow.com> on 2000/11/03 21:18:36 UTC

Tomcat Log Files Not Displaying Date

Hi,

I have checked the mailing-list messages of the past couple of months and I
found some possible solutions to my problem but not quite the one I was
looking for or the one that would work in my environment...

I get the following output in my servlet.log file:

Context log path="/afc1" :tomcat.errorPage: init
Context log path="/afc1" :default: init

and I would rather like to see something like:

2000-11-03 11:12:13 - path="/afc1" :tomcat.errorPage: init
2000-11-03 11:12:13 - path="/afc1" :default: init
2000-11-03 11:12:13 - ...

I would like to have the date displayed.  I read the "Disappointment Saga"
and I have tried some of what was suggested as I am running Tomcat 3.1 and
the suggestions were for Tomcat 3.2 Beta 4.

Here is the logger section of my server.xml file:

    <Logger name="tc_log"
            path="logs/tomcat.log"
            verbosityLevel = "DEBUG"
    />
    <Logger name="servlet_log"
            path="logs/servlet.log"
            verbosityLevel = "DEBUG"
    />
    <Logger name="JASPER_LOG"
            path="logs/jasper.log"
            verbosityLevel = "FATAL"
    />

I have noticed that changes made to the verbosityLevel are being applied to
the jasper.log file but not to the tomcat.log and servlet.log files.

What else has an impact on the way Tomcat writes to log?  What could be the
cause of my problem?  Is it a limitation of Tomcat 3.1?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Annie