Posted to soap-dev@xml.apache.org by "CHEN,SHIH-CHANG (HP-NewJersey,ex2)" <sh...@hp.com> on 2002/04/09 15:24:54 UTC

please help us: interop problems with HP-SOAP

Hi,

I noticed that HP-SOAP fails all the interop
tests with Apache SOAP2.2+:
http://www.apache.org/~rubys/ApacheClientInterop.html

We compare the wire messages, but still cannot
figure out what cause the problems that we pass
all axis tests but fail ApacheSOAP tests.

We will appriciate it if you can provide us more
information about what cause the tests failed in
your test clients.

Many thanks,

Shih-Chang Chen

Re: please help us: interop problems with HP-SOAP

Posted by Scott Nichol <sc...@yahoo.com>.
I believe I have located a bug in the current Apache SOAP source that prevents
the default encoding from being correctly applied.

The SOAPMappingRegistry class, a subclass of XMLJavaMappingRegistry, now support
chaining, i.e. an instance has a parent, with the parent being null for the
"root" instance.  When looking up a mapping, the chain is followed if necessary
to resolve the mapping.

The XMLJavaMappingRegistry class has a method setDefaultEncodingStyle, which
sets the default encoding style.  When this method is called on a
SOAPMappingRegistry instance, the default encoding style is set only for the
particular link in the chain.  It is *not* set for the parent (and recursively
for all parents).  This breaks the proper application of the default.

The fix is to override the implementation in the SOAPMappingRegistry class to do
this chaining:

  public void setDefaultEncodingStyle(String defEncStyle)
  {
      super.setDefaultEncodingStyle(defEncStyle);
      parent.setDefaultEncodingStyle(defEncStyle);
  }

Scott

Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2002 15:46:16 GMT

xmlns:ns1="http://soapinterop.org/" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/1999/XMLSchema"

Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2002 15:47:24 GMT

xmlns:ns1="http://soapinterop.org/" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema"

Posted by Scott Nichol <sc...@yahoo.com>.
Hello,

You may have noticed that my patch has been applied to the current Apache SOAP
source and that the interop tests with HP now have many fewer failures.

I have also contacted Sam Ruby regarding the Struct Array test.  The current
Apache SOAP source has a test client that differs from the SOAP 2.2 release and
current Axis source.  The difference manifests iteself in one element of the
SOAP envelope, as follows.

SOAP 2.2+
<inputStructArray xmlns:ns2="http://soapinterop.org/xsd"
xsi:type="ns2:ArrayOfSOAPStruct"
xmlns:ns3="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/"
ns3:arrayType="ns2:SOAPStruct[5]">

SOAP 2.2
<inputStructArray xmlns:ns2="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/"
xsi:type="ns2:Array" xmlns:ns3="http://soapinterop.org/xsd"
ns2:arrayType="ns3:SOAPStruct[5]">

Axis (from http://www.apache.org/~rubys/ApacheClientInterop.html)
<inputStructArray xsi:type="SOAP-ENC:Array"
SOAP-ENC:arrayType="ns2:SOAPStruct[3]" xmlns:ns2="http://soapinterop.org/xsd">

As you can see, the current SOAP code uses the ArrayOfSOAPStruct type defined in
the interop WSDL.

Scott Nichol