Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by da...@fallside.com on 2015/11/13 01:17:42 UTC

[DISCUSS] Spark-Kernel Incubator Proposal

Hello, we would like to start a discussion on accepting the Spark-Kernel,
a mechanism for applications to interactively and remotely access Apache
Spark, into the Apache Incubator.

The proposal is available online at
https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/SparkKernelProposal, and it is appended
to this email.

We are looking for additional mentors to help with this project, and we
would much appreciate your guidance and advice.

Thank-you in advance,
David Fallside

= Spark-Kernel Proposal =

== Abstract ==
Spark-Kernel provides applications with a mechanism to interactively and
remotely access Apache Spark.

== Proposal ==
The Spark-Kernel enables interactive applications to access Apache Spark
clusters. More specifically:
 * Applications can send code-snippets and libraries for execution by Spark
 * Applications can be deployed separately from Spark clusters and
communicate with the Spark-Kernel using the provided Spark-Kernel client
 * Execution results and streaming data can be sent back to calling
applications
 * Applications no longer have to be network connected to the workers on a
Spark cluster because the Spark-Kernel acts as each application’s proxy
 * Work has started on enabling Spark-Kernel to support languages in
addition to Scala, namely Python (with PySpark), R (with SparkR), and SQL
(with SparkSQL)

== Background & Rationale ==
Apache Spark provides applications with a fast and general purpose
distributed computing engine that supports static and streaming data,
tabular and graph representations of data, and an extensive library of
machine learning libraries. Consequently, a wide variety of applications
will be written for Spark and there will be interactive applications that
require relatively frequent function evaluations, and batch-oriented
applications that require one-shot or only occasional evaluation.

Apache Spark provides two mechanisms for applications to connect with
Spark. The primary mechanism launches applications on Spark clusters using
spark-submit
(http://spark.apache.org/docs/latest/submitting-applications.html); this
requires developers to bundle their application code plus any dependencies
into JAR files, and then submit them to Spark. A second mechanism is an
ODBC/JDBC API
(http://spark.apache.org/docs/latest/sql-programming-guide.html#distributed-sql-engine)
which enables applications to issue SQL queries against SparkSQL.

Our experience when developing interactive applications, such as analytic
applications and Jupyter Notebooks, to run against Spark was that the
spark-submit mechanism was overly cumbersome and slow (requiring JAR
creation and forking processes to run spark-submit), and the SQL interface
was too limiting and did not offer easy access to components other than
SparkSQL, such as streaming. The most promising mechanism provided by
Apache Spark was the command-line shell
(http://spark.apache.org/docs/latest/programming-guide.html#using-the-shell)
which enabled us to execute code snippets and dynamically control the
tasks submitted to  a Spark cluster. Spark does not provide the
command-line shell as a consumable service but it provided us with the
starting point from which we developed the Spark-Kernel.

== Current Status ==
Spark-Kernel was first developed by a small team working on an
internal-IBM Spark-related project in July 2014. In recognition of its
likely general utility to Spark users and developers, in November 2014 the
Spark-Kernel project was moved to GitHub and made available under the
Apache License V2.

== Meritocracy ==
The current developers are familiar with the meritocratic open source
development process at Apache. As the project has gathered interest at
GitHub the developers have actively started a process to invite additional
developers into the project, and we have at least one new developer who is
ready to contribute code to the project.

== Community ==
We started building a community around the Spark-Kernel project when we
moved it to GitHub about one year ago. Since then we have grown to about
70 people, and there are regular requests and suggestions from the
community. We believe that providing Apache Spark application developers
with a general-purpose and interactive API holds a lot of community
potential, especially considering possible tie-in’s with the Jupyter and
data science community.

== Core Developers ==
The core developers of the project are currently all from IBM, from the
IBM Emerging Technology team and from IBM’s recently formed Spark
Technology Center.

== Alignment ==
Apache, as the home of Apache Spark, is the most natural home for the
Spark-Kernel project because it was designed to work with Apache Spark and
to provide capabilities for interactive applications and data science
tools not provided by Spark itself.

The Spark-Kernel also has an affinity with Jupyter (jupyter.org) because
it uses the Jupyter protocol for communications, and so Jupyter Notebooks
can directly use the Spark-Kernel as a kernel for communicating with
Apache Spark. However, we believe that the Spark-Kernel provides a
general-purpose mechanism enabling a wider variety of applications than
just Notebooks to access Spark, and so the Spark-Kernel’s greatest
affinity is with Apache and Apache Spark.

== Known Risks ==
=== Orphaned products ===
We believe the Spark-Kernel project has a low-risk of abandonment due to
interest in its continuing existence from several parties. More
specifically, the Spark-Kernel provides a capability that is not provided
by Apache Spark today but it enables a wider range of applications to
leverage Spark. For example, IBM uses (and is considering) the
Spark-Kernel in several offerings including its IBM Analytics for Apache
Spark product in the Bluemix Cloud. There are also a couple of other
commercial users who are using or considering its use in their offerings.
Furthermore, Jupyter Notebooks are used by data scientists and Spark is
gaining popularity as an analytic engine for them. Jupyter Notebooks are
very easily enabled with the Spark-Kernel and so there is another
constituency for it.

=== Inexperience with Open Source ===
The Spark-Kernel project has been running as an open-source project
(albeit with only IBM committers) for the past several months. The project
has an active issue tracker and due to the interest indicated by the
nature and volume of requests and comments, the team has publicly stated
it is beginning to build a process so they can accept third-party
contributions to the project.

=== Relationships with Other Apache Products ===
The Spark-Kernel has a clear affinity with the Apache Spark project
because it is designed to  provide capabilities for interactive
applications and data science tools not provided by Spark itself. The
Spark-Kernel can be a back-end for the Zeppelin project currently
incubating at Apache. There is interest from the Spark-Kernel community to
develop this capability and an experimental branch has been started.

=== Homogeneous Developers ===
The current group of developers working on Spark-Kernel are all from IBM
although the group is in the process of expanding its membership to
include members of the GitHub community who are not from IBM and who have
been active in the Spark-Kernel community in GutHub.

=== Reliance on Salaried Developers ===
The initial committers are full-time employees at IBM although not all
work on the project full-time.

=== Excessive Fascination with the Apache Brand ===
We believe the Spark-Kernel benefits Apache Spark application developers,
and we are interested in an Apache Spark-Kernel project to benefit these
developers by engaging a larger community, facilitating closer ties with
the existing Spark project, and yes, gaining more visibility for the
Spark-Kernel as a solution.

We have recently become aware that the project name “Spark-Kernel” may be
interpreted as having an association with an Apache project. If the
project is accepted by Apache, we suggest the project name remains the
same, but otherwise we will change it to one that does not imply any
Apache association.

=== Documentation ===
Comprehensive documentation including “Getting Started”, API
specifications and a Roadmap are available from the GitHub project, see
https://github.com/ibm-et/spark-kernel/wiki.

=== Initial Source ===
The source code resides at https://github.com/ibm-et/spark-kernel.

=== External Dependencies ===
The Spark-Kernel depends upon a number of Apache projects:
 * Spark
 * Hadoop
 * Ivy
 * Commons

The Spark-Kernel also depends upon a number of other open source projects:
 * JeroMQ (LGPL with Static Linking Exception,
http://zeromq.org/area:licensing)
 * Akka (MIT)
 * JOpt Simple (MIT)
 * Spring Framework Core (Apache v2)
 * Play (Apache v2)
 * SLF4J (MIT)
 * Scala
 * Scalatest (Apache v2)
 * Scalactic (Apache v2)
 * Mockito (MIT)

== Required Resources ==
Developer and user mailing lists
 * private@spark-kernel.incubator.apache.org (with moderated subscriptions)
 * commits@spark-kernel.incubator.apache.org
 * dev@spark-kernel.incubator.apache.org
 * users@spark-kernel.incubator.apache.org

A git repository:
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator-spark-kernel.git

A JIRA issue tracker: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-KERNEL

== Initial Committers ==
The initial list of committers is:
 * Leugim Bustelo (gino@bustelos.com)
 * Jakob Odersky (jodersky@gmail.com)
 * Luciano Resende (lresende@apache.org)
 * Robert Senkbeil (chip.senkbeil@gmail.com)
 * Corey Stubbs (cas5542@gmail.com)
 * Miao Wang (wm624@hotmail.com)
 * Sean Welleck (wellecks@gmail.com)

=== Affiliations ===
All of the initial committers are employed by IBM.

== Sponsors ==
=== Champion ===
 * Sam Ruby (IBM)

=== Nominated Mentors ===
 * Luciano Resende

We wish to recruit additional mentors during incubation.

=== Sponsoring Entity ===
The Apache Incubator.

Re: [DISCUSS] Spark-Kernel Incubator Proposal

Posted by Hitesh Shah <hi...@apache.org>.
Hi David,

I would be happy to help out as a mentor.

thanks
— Hitesh

Posted by Julien Le Dem <ju...@dremio.com>.
I'd be happy to help as a mentor if you need more.

Julien

Re: [DISCUSS] Spark-Kernel Incubator Proposal

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com>.
> On 13 Nov 2015, at 22:19, Matei Zaharia <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> One question about this from the Spark side: have you considered giving the project a different name so that it doesn't sound like a Spark component? Right now "Spark Kernel" may be confused with "Spark Core" and things like that. I don't see a lot of Apache TLPs with related names, though maybe there's nothing wrong with that.

ASF projects are allowed to, it just creates confusion about where support calls go.

Certainly, if it is outside the ASF, then its an infringement of the ASF trademarks on Apache(tm) Spark(r). So from a trademark perspective alone, submitting to the ASF incubator may avoid having to rename the project. Given how java source usually ends up including product names in the packaging hierarchy, this can only be welcomed by the team

> In terms of whether to put this in Apache Spark proper, we can have a discussion about it later, but my feeling is that it's not necessary. One reason is that this only uses public APIs, and another is that there are also other notebook interfaces over Spark (e.g. Zeppelin).
>
> Matei

+1 for keeping it separate, because it can have its own release schedule, and it is designed to be loosely coupled through those APIs,

Regarding the proposal, I do think the Kernel is architecturally interesting, especially the ability to register new event handlers running in-cluster.

However, it's requirement to be 100% compatible with Jupyter means that is must use zeroMQ as a transport, —and zeromq.jar is LPGL.

And the ASF, for better or worse, has a policy of: no mandatory dependencies on LGPL artifacts

 http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html

with the most recent discussion on the topic being : https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-192

I see that 0MQ are talking about adopting the MPL license: http://zeromq.org/area:licensing ; I think getting zeromq.jar licensed as MPL is going to have be a checklist item on being able to release ASF approved artifacts, hence getting out of incubation.

If the project does get into incubation, one option that the spark team has is that of becoming the sponsoring project, rather than the incubator PMC. This gives the PMC there the responsibility for supervising the project, and should help foster a closer relationship between the groups

-Steve

Re: [DISCUSS] Spark-Kernel Incubator Proposal

Posted by "P. Taylor Goetz" <pt...@gmail.com>.

> On Nov 13, 2015, at 5:19 PM, Matei Zaharia <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> In terms of whether to put this in Apache Spark proper, we can have a discussion about it later, but my feeling is that it's not necessary. One reason is that this only uses public APIs, and another is that there are also other notebook interfaces over Spark (e.g. Zeppelin).

That seems to echo the sentiment in the JIRA that Alex pointed out, and from a birds eye view looks like it was the impetus for the contributors to take the incubator route.

Would that sentiment change if spark-kernel relied on private APIs, or did so in the future?

The fact that at least Spark PMC member stepped up and offered to mentor the project seems like an indicator that there's at least some support for collaboration from the Spark community.

I'm not it any way trying to affect the outcome of this proposal. I'm mostly thinking out loud that there might be a missed collaboration opportunity here.

> Matei

-Taylor

Re: [DISCUSS] Spark-Kernel Incubator Proposal

Posted by Matei Zaharia <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Fallside <da...@fallside.com>.
Hi Taylor, I don't know the Spark community's opinion on the "outright vs
subproject" issue, although I have told a couple people in that community about
the proposal and have posted an FYI to the spark-dev list. From a technical
perspective, Spark-Kernel mainly uses public Spark APIs (except for some SparkR
usage,
https://github.com/ibm-et/spark-kernel/blob/master/sparkr-interpreter/src/main/resources/README.md)
and so I guess the answer could go either way depending on the Spark community.
Thanks,
David

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Nov 13, 2015 at 2:13 AM, Alexander Bezzubov <ab...@nflabs.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> it looks pretty interesting, especially a part about integration with
> Zeppelin as another Scala interpreter implementation.
>
> AFAIK there was a discussion on including Spark-Kernel to spark core
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-4605 but not sure about a
> possibility of becoming a sub-project one.
>
> Would be interesting to know as indeed it looks very aligned with Apache
> Spark.
>
> --
> Alex

Thanks for the pointer Alex.

This discussion can continue during incubation and while the project starts
to grow, and we can actually revisit this during graduation, which is when
it would really make a difference.

--
Luciano Resende
http://people.apache.org/~lresende

Re: [DISCUSS] Spark-Kernel Incubator Proposal

Posted by Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com>.
Recent example was the MySos proposal, it is MySQL in Mesos, which
renamed to Cotton before officially entering incubator.

I think it would be easier for infra if the name is decided a bit
early to something that have better chance to pass incubation.

- Henry

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.

Posted by Reynold Xin <rx...@apache.org>.
I'm happy to mentor the incubation if you are still looking for mentors.

Posted by "P. Taylor Goetz" <pt...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alexander Bezzubov <ab...@nflabs.com>.
Hi,

> [...]

> > A git repository:
> > https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator-spark-kernel.git
> >
> > A JIRA issue tracker: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-KERNEL
> >
> > == Initial Committers ==
> > The initial list of committers is:
> > * Leugim Bustelo (gino@bustelos.com)
> > * Jakob Odersky (jodersky@gmail.com)
> > * Luciano Resende (lresende@apache.org)
> > * Robert Senkbeil (chip.senkbeil@gmail.com)
> > * Corey Stubbs (cas5542@gmail.com)
> > * Miao Wang (wm624@hotmail.com)
> > * Sean Welleck (wellecks@gmail.com)
> >
> > === Affiliations ===
> > All of the initial committers are employed by IBM.
> >
> > == Sponsors ==
> > === Champion ===
> > * Sam Ruby (IBM)
> >
> > === Nominated Mentors ===
> > * Luciano Resende
> >
> > We wish to recruit additional mentors during incubation.

Kind regards,
Alexander.

Re: [DISCUSS] Spark-Kernel Incubator Proposal

Posted by "P. Taylor Goetz" <pt...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sree V <sr...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
Hi David & All,
The 'spark-kernel/torii' is a "good to have" tool.
Pardon me, I am not the judge in any way.After going through this thread and the referred links, it seems, by giving it a decent publicity in Apache Spark (may be provide link, etc.),would be sufficient enough for its survival and evolution, instead going through the entire 'apache incubation'.
I am not undermining the incubation any way.  But for the prep work needed (license/trademark, project rename, package rename) to make 'spark-kernel' incubation eligible and once in incubation, it needs to keep up with the progress of Apache Zeppelin (which is incubating already).

Oh! that also makes me ask, can apache zeppelin & spark-kernel/torri be combined into one ?!

Either way,  count me in for any help required with 'spark-kernel/torii'.
Thanking you.With RegardsSree

    On Monday, November 30, 2015 4:13 PM, Julien Le Dem <ju...@dremio.com> wrote:

 Sorry for the late reply.
FYI there is an opensource project called torii already:
https://vestorly.github.io/torii/
Whether there is a trademark or not, I'd recommend a name that does not
collide with another project.

--
Julien

Re: [DISCUSS] Spark-Kernel Incubator Proposal

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Tue, Dec 15, 2015 at 7:26 PM, Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ...We used Sam approach and replaced vowels from our previous choice and came
> up with Toree, and if nobody have any issues with the name, we will use it....

Note that we have TomEE which is fairly similar.

But we also have Flink and Sling with the same issue, I suppose it's
unavoidable as our number of projects grows - just wanted to mention
it.

-Bertrand

Re: [DISCUSS] Spark-Kernel Incubator Proposal

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.
Ok, I have done some research and here are some proposed names :

Toree
Zawn
Smirr
Inlata

We used Sam approach and replaced vowels from our previous choice and came
up with Toree, and if nobody have any issues with the name, we will use it.
I will leave this open for couple days before I update the vote thread with
the new name.

Thank you all that identified the naming issue early on, and helped finding
a new name.

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Julien Le Dem <ju...@dremio.com>.
Sorry for the late reply.

--
Julien

Re: [DISCUSS] Spark-Kernel Incubator Proposal