Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Mick Semb Wever <mc...@apache.org> on 2020/07/20 22:05:00 UTC

[RELEASE] Apache Cassandra 4.0-beta1 released

The Cassandra team is pleased to announce the release of Apache
Cassandra version 4.0-beta1.

Apache Cassandra is a fully distributed database. It is the right
choice when you need scalability and high availability without
compromising performance.

 http://cassandra.apache.org/

Downloads of source and binary distributions are listed in our download section:

 http://cassandra.apache.org/download/

This version is a beta release[1] on the 4.0 series. As always, please
pay attention to the release notes[2] and let us know[3] if you were
to encounter any problem.

Enjoy!
 And check out our blog post on Cassandra 4.0 beta1
    https://cassandra.apache.org/blog/2020/07/20/apache-cassandra-4-0-beta1.html

[1]: CHANGES.txt
https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf?p=cassandra.git;a=blob_plain;f=CHANGES.txt;hb=refs/tags/cassandra-4.0-beta1
[2]: NEWS.txt https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf?p=cassandra.git;a=blob_plain;f=NEWS.txt;hb=refs/tags/cassandra-4.0-beta1
[3]: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA

Re: [RELEASE] Apache Cassandra 4.0-beta1 released

Posted by Jon Meredith <jm...@gmail.com>.
(dropping user)

It's probably also worth mentioning that CASSANDRA-15937 will impact
what gets received on some of the JMX endpoints related to including
storage ports along with addresses, but all of the changes I view as
bugfixes on the original rather than any new functionality (for
example LoadMap / LoadMap with port outputs should be swapped and
ownership/scores are inconsistently formatted).

I expect to have a patch posted for it today, but please get in touch
if anybody has concerns about the changes.

Posted by Mick Semb Wever <mc...@apache.org>.

Posted by Mick Semb Wever <mc...@apache.org>.

Posted by Michael Semb Wever <mc...@apache.org>.
> From NEWS.txt:
> >  Release builds require Java 11 + Java 8. Development builds can use Java
> 8 without 11.
>
> Did it mean to read "Development builds can use *Java 11 without 8*."?

Cassandra can be built with either JDK 8 or JDK 11.
Our formal releases are built with JDK 8.

Re: [RELEASE] Apache Cassandra 4.0-beta1 released

Posted by Oleksandr Shulgin <ol...@zalando.de>.
On Tue, Jul 21, 2020 at 12:06 AM Mick Semb Wever <mc...@apache.org> wrote:

> The Cassandra team is pleased to announce the release of Apache
> Cassandra version 4.0-beta1.
>
> Apache Cassandra is a fully distributed database. It is the right
> choice when you need scalability and high availability without
> compromising performance.
>
>  http://cassandra.apache.org/
>
> Downloads of source and binary distributions are listed in our download
> section:
>
>  http://cassandra.apache.org/download/
>
> This version is a beta release[1] on the 4.0 series. As always, please
> pay attention to the release notes[2] and let us know[3] if you were
> to encounter any problem.
>
> Enjoy!
>  And check out our blog post on Cassandra 4.0 beta1
>
> https://cassandra.apache.org/blog/2020/07/20/apache-cassandra-4-0-beta1.html

Congratulations on moving to the beta phase!

[1]: CHANGES.txt

> https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf?p=cassandra.git;a=blob_plain;f=CHANGES.txt;hb=refs/tags/cassandra-4.0-beta1
> [2]: NEWS.txt
> https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf?p=cassandra.git;a=blob_plain;f=NEWS.txt;hb=refs/tags/cassandra-4.0-beta1

From NEWS.txt:
>  Release builds require Java 11 + Java 8. Development builds can use Java
8 without 11.

Did it mean to read "Development builds can use *Java 11 without 8*."?

Cheers,
--
Alex