Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Julian Yap <ju...@gmail.com> on 2011/04/08 02:01:31 UTC

SpamCop and false positives from Yahoo

I'm seeing a lot of false positives from SpamCop blacklisting Yahoo mail
IP's.

For example:
http://www.senderbase.org/senderbase_queries/detailip?search_string=98.138.82.0%2F24
http://www.senderbase.org/senderbase_queries/detailip?search_string=115.178.12.0%2F24

Anyone tried or anyone have a contact at SpamCop who can get Yahoo mail
blocks whitelisted?

- Julian

Re: SpamCop and false positives from Yahoo

Posted by Adam Katz <an...@khopis.com>.

On 04/07/2011 11:33 PM, Mark Chaney wrote:
> White listing yahoo is a horrible idea. As usual, you should just
> use spamcop for scoring, not outright blocking email. Spamcop has had
> a poor reputation for false positives for a quite awhile now.

Yahoo sometimes selects specific IP ranges for sending mail with
spammy-looking qualities so as to keep their less spammy users on
cleaner relays.  This is mostly damage control and is by no means
reliable.  It certainly can't have trust extended to third-party indices
like CBL, SpamCop, or DNSWL, though (as you can see) it does leave a mark.

Note, I am not speaking for my employer, etc etc.  (Please assume this
unless I say otherwise.)

Re: SpamCop and false positives from Yahoo

Posted by Mark Chaney <ma...@lists.macscr.com>.
On 04/07/2011 07:21 PM, Matthew Kitchin (usenet/public) wrote:
> Excuse the top post, on a blackberry.
> They have a list/newsgroup where you can email the 'deputies'. If it
> is still the way they used to be run, they aren't really false
> positives. Those servers really are sending spam. I think all listings
> are automatically removed after a few days or so.
> *From: * Julian Yap <ju...@gmail.com>
> *Date: *Thu, 7 Apr 2011 14:01:31 -1000
> *To: *<us...@spamassassin.apache.org>
> *Subject: *SpamCop and false positives from Yahoo
>
> I'm seeing a lot of false positives from SpamCop blacklisting Yahoo
> mail IP's.
>
> For example:
> http://www.senderbase.org/senderbase_queries/detailip?search_string=98.138.82.0%2F24
> http://www.senderbase.org/senderbase_queries/detailip?search_string=115.178.12.0%2F24
>
> Anyone tried or anyone have a contact at SpamCop who can get Yahoo
> mail blocks whitelisted?
>
> - Julian

White listing yahoo is a horrible idea. As usual, you should just use
spamcop for scoring, not outright blocking email. Spamcop has had a poor
reputation for false positives for a quite awhile now.

-Mark

Re: SpamCop and false positives from Yahoo