Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by nipra <pr...@gmail.com> on 2014/05/25 04:23:49 UTC

Replication chunk size

Hi,

As per the doc replication happens in a chunk size of 64 MB (default). What
happens in case when this chunk size is not reached for long time (30 mins
or some hours)? Will it cause the changes from master to reach to slave
after a long time? We're planning to use slave cluster as read only cluster
and long delay might not be useful.

Is the chunk size or WAL EOF only criteria for shipping WAL edits to slave
cluster? Or is there a time limit also?

We're using 0.94.6 version.

-- nipra

Re: Replication chunk size

Posted by lars hofhansl <la...@apache.org>.
The replication code continuously reads edits from the WAL and ships them over when (1) there's nothing else to read or (2) the "chunksize" is reached.
The chunksize just limit the maximum size of the RPC request to ship the edits over.

-- Lars