Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Tao Wu <wu...@gmail.com> on 2020/10/20 12:08:30 UTC

[VOTE] Release the Apache Pegasus 2.1.0

Hi, all

This is a call for a vote to release Apache Pegasus (Incubating) version
2.1.0. Pegasus is a distributed key-value storage system that is designed
to be simple, horizontally scalable, strongly consistent, and
high-performance.

The Apache Pegasus community has voted on and approved a proposal to
release Apache Pegasus 2.1.0.

Apache Pegasus community vote thread:
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/r04796d87a3f4465ce1d6478c1d804e4a2ef9f885a71b5bc3cdbf605c%40%3Cdev.pegasus.apache.org%3E

Vote result thread:
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/r0d300672a3e139b43acfca627fe1013d696f5d2545a45ec96c9bd12e%40%3Cdev.pegasus.apache.org%3E

The source tarball, including signatures, digests, etc. can be found at:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/pegasus/2.1.0-RC4/

It is tagged in Git as 2.1.0-RC4 and the corresponding hash is the
following:
https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-pegasus.git;a=commit;h=b40ab43ea37128afef0838c33e3a38c11d5dbebf

KEYS file available:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/pegasus/KEYS

For information about the contents of this release, see:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Ul5W0ViA6HK0h4blu3PD2JKnUR_8SSViHXQmmzHyew8/edit?usp=sharing

The vote will be open for 72 hours.
    [ ] +1 approve
    [ ] +0 no opinion
    [ ] -1 disapprove with the reason

Best regards
Tao Wu

Re: [VOTE] Release the Apache Pegasus 2.1.0

Posted by Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com>.
+1 (binding)

I checked:
The signed key and sha code are OK for me.
DISCLAIMER_WIP exits
LICENSE and NOTICE exits
I tried to build the source in my Mac, but it failed when building rdsn failed.

Here are some works we need to do in the coming up release:
The file name should be apache-pegasus-incubating instead of  incubator-pegasus.
Please update the License header of the source file with ASF suggested[1].
Please add the build instruction on the README file.

I'm not sure if the RC4 is the final version of Apache Pegasus 2.1.0.
If so we also need to update the Git tag for it.

[1]https://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#headers

Willem Jiang

Twitter: willemjiang
Weibo: 姜宁willem

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

+1 (binding)

Both the issues of the missing header and licensing is mentioned in the DISCLAIMER so I think that’s OK, but progress will need to be made on these in the next release.

I checked:
- incubating in name
- signatures and hashes are fine
- DISCLAIMER_WIP exists and contains what needs to be worked on
- LICENSE and NOTICE exits
- LICENSE is missing a number of included 3rd party licenses
- Files are missing ASF headers
- No unexpected binary files
- Unable to compile from source, but may be my setup or I’m on a non supported platform (OSX)

Thanks,
Justin

Re: [VOTE] Release the Apache Pegasus 2.1.0

Posted by vongosling <fe...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

-1, binding

1. There are many files without a license header.
2. License file has not listed the dependencies statement. AFAIK, there are
many MIT and other licenses in pegasus.
3. It would be nice to list the release note when voting for release. I
usually encourage peoples to do it. Someone may be interested in your new
version. and quickie help to vote for release :-)
4. I also recommend to add release-manual to your website. The community
could vote as your guide, thereby avoiding unnecessary rc1, rc2, rc3...

p.s
I really understand the license difficulties in some of the  c++ projects
when the first release in podling. Here are two references[1][2] for you.
In addition, I hope you could check this link carefully[3]:-)

[1] https://github.com/apache/rocketmq-client-cpp/blob/master/LICENSE
[2] https://github.com/apache/incubator-brpc/blob/master/LICENSE
[3] https://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html

张铎(Duo Zhang) <pa...@gmail.com> 于2020年10月23日周五 上午10:30写道:

--
Nothing is impossible

Re: [VOTE] Release the Apache Pegasus 2.1.0

Posted by "张铎 (Duo Zhang)" <pa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tao Wu <wu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com>.