Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Peter Hull <pe...@gmail.com> on 2022/09/06 08:31:04 UTC

[CSV] New feature to allow access to leading/trailing comments in CSV files?

Dear all,
I have an application where it would be useful to be able to get the
leading comments (ie. before the first record) from a CSV file.
I asked a question on StackOverflow[1] but I got no replies and as far as I
can see it's not possible.
I looked into implementing this myself and it appeared to be pretty
straightforward, since the CSV parser already pulls out the comments but
then discards them. It was also straightforward to access trailing comments
too. I created a patch with the implementation and a test.
Would there be any interest from the commons-csv developers in this patch?
I appreciate there may be reasons I am not aware of as to why commons-csv
doesn't do this already.
Thanks,
Peter

[1]:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/72619095/get-leading-comments-from-csv-with-apache-commons-csv

Re: [CSV] New feature to allow access to leading/trailing comments in CSV files?

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
Hi Peter,

Yes, the GitHub repos are all mirrors, and the most convenient way to
collaborate IMO, say, compared to our "plain" gitbox.

Gary

Posted by Peter Hull <pe...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, 6 Sept 2022 at 15:56, Gilles Sadowski <gi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> About your patch: It is preferable to have a separate test method for
> each test case.  If there is no better description, it is fine to append
> a "counter" to the "common" test name. i.e.
>
> Hi Gilles,
I have done this, partly, and there are 14 test methods. I still have two
tests in each method, one for hasXXX() and one for getXXX(). It seems a bit
excessive already. In your judgement, should I cut some of them out?
https://github.com/apache/commons-csv/pull/257/commits/0414d1e4b79a4f42d24c8b9a7547a8cbf4a40cf0
Peter

Re: [CSV] New feature to allow access to leading/trailing comments in CSV files?

Posted by Gilles Sadowski <gi...@gmail.com>.
Hello.

Le mar. 6 sept. 2022 à 16:37, Peter Hull <pe...@gmail.com> a écrit :

> Hi Gary,
> Thanks for that, I've done it now. I didn't really mean to ask "how" to
> submit a pull request, more "where" to submit it, as the Apache page just
> mentions a repo at gitbox.apache.org and the Contributing page describes
> attaching a patch file derived from SVN. I assumed the github repo was just
> mirrored for convenience.

The GitHub "mirror" (GH) works better (unfortunately, IMHO) than
the "original" repositories hosted at ASF[1]; so you can just create PR
on GH...

About your patch: It is preferable to have a separate test method for
each test case.  If there is no better description, it is fine to append
a "counter" to the "common" test name. i.e.

@Test
public void getHeaderComment1() { /* ... */ }

@Test
public void getHeaderComment2() { /* ... */ }

... and so on ...

Thanks,
Gilles

[1] https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf?p=commons-csv.git