Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com> on 2020/02/03 14:57:14 UTC

[lang] New Streams code breaks build

Hi,

The commit
https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf?p=commons-lang.git;a=commit;h=2ea44b2adae8da8e3e7f55cc226479f9431feda9
broke
the Travis build due to Checktyle errors.

Please fix.

Gary

Re: [lang] New Streams code breaks build

Posted by Alex Herbert <al...@gmail.com>.
On 04/02/2020 09:56, Peter Verhas wrote:
> It also breaks all the pull requests and I am not sure that Travis on
> GitHub gives it a try again when the master changes. What is the expected
> procedure? Should I push a null change commit to the branch to trigger
> Travis after the master is fixed? How should I know when the master is
> fixed? Should I have a look at it daily? What is the recommendation?

When the master branch is fixed all the travis PR jobs can be restarted
from here (if you are a GitHub ASF committer):

https://travis-ci.org/apache/commons-lang/pull_requests

There are quite a few. So that will be done when the fix is in place.

Alex

Posted by Peter Verhas <pe...@verhas.com>.

--
Peter Verhas
peter@verhas.com

Re: [lang] New Streams code breaks build

Posted by Alex Herbert <al...@gmail.com>.

> On 7 Feb 2020, at 21:04, Alex Herbert <al...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On 7 Feb 2020, at 21:02, Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi, Alex,
>>
>> On Tue, Feb 4, 2020 at 10:06 PM Alex Herbert <al...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Travis just uses ‘mvn’. This triggers the default goal in the pom which does this:
>>
>> Thanks for the information. I wasn't even aware, that there is a default goal.
>>

>>> I did note when I had a look that the main javadoc gives the example:
>>>
>>> * Using a {@link FailableStream}, this can be rewritten as follows:
>>> * <pre>
>>> *     ObjectStreams.failable(stream).forEach((m) -&gt; m.invoke(o, args));
>>> * </pre>
>>>
>>> Should ObjectStreams.failable be changed to ‘Streams.stream’?

This javadoc error is still in the header. It reads Streams.failable but the methods are Streams.stream.

I think the method should be renamed to failable. I don’t think there is a need for Streams.stream(Collection). The amount of code is trivial. However if you want to keep it in then this:

Functions.stream(list.stream())

Should be:

Streams.stream(list)    or   Streams.failable(list)

In the method javadoc.

>> Also thanks for spotting this. Fixed, as are the Checkstyle problems.
>
> Thanks. When travis is happy with these changes then I’ll try restarting the PRs.

Travis is fine with your change but the PRs fail after a restart. I think they will need to be rebased on master.

Posted by Alex Herbert <al...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.
Hi, Alex,

Posted by Alex Herbert <al...@gmail.com>.

> On 4 Feb 2020, at 19:36, Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Feb 3, 2020 at 3:57 PM Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> The commit
>> https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf?p=commons-lang.git;a=commit;h=2ea44b2adae8da8e3e7f55cc226479f9431feda9
>> broke
>> the Travis build due to Checktyle errors.
>
> As the responsible person, I apologize for that. I am sure, that I did
> a "mvn clean install" before committing, and pushing. Obviously, that
> is not enough. What other Maven targets should I use?

Travis just uses ‘mvn’. This triggers the default goal in the pom which does this:

mvn clean verify apache-rat:check clirr:check checkstyle:check spotbugs:check javadoc:javadoc

It is checkstyle that you missed. There are a lot of tabs in your main file Stream.java. Not sure if that is the problem or trailing whitespace. Fixing it should be trivial.

I did note when I had a look that the main javadoc gives the example:

 * Using a {@link FailableStream}, this can be rewritten as follows:
 * <pre>
 *     ObjectStreams.failable(stream).forEach((m) -&gt; m.invoke(o, args));
 * </pre>

Should ObjectStreams.failable be changed to ‘Streams.stream’?

This is what the class currently allows. Or use of the public constructor for FailableStream:

new FailableStream(stream)...

Is it intentional to have a public constructor here?

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.