Posted to xmlbeans-dev@xml.apache.org by Alexey Loubyansky <al...@jboss.org> on 2003/12/05 21:18:47 UTC

proposals

Hello,

(addressed to xmlbeans-dev, copied to jboss-development)

I maybe wrong in some assumptions, please, correct me in that case. I am
not an expert in the area.

I could not find a binding tool that would meet the requirements I have.
In no specific order, the requirements are:

* custom object model
AFAIK, existing tools propose one to implement the generated interfaces.
I would like to write my own object model and avoid generated interfaces.

* flexible object model
In existing tools, object model strictly reflects the shema definition.
For example
<!ELEMENT ejb-jar (description?, display-name?, small-icon?,
large-icon?, enterprise-beans, relationships?, assembly-descriptor?,
ejb-client-jar?)>
It means in the object model, all the children will be represented by
classes. I would like to skip some of them, such as description, icons,
etc. I would like even to skip enterprise-beans element but have its
children (entity, session, etc) present in my (custom) object model.

* population of the same object model from different XML sources
For example, deployment information for an EJB comes splitted into
several deployment descriptors. For example, ejb-jar.xml, jboss.xml and
jbosscmp-jdbc.xml. Each deployment descriptor provides different kind of
information for the same, say, entity bean (ejb-jar.xml - spec info,
jboss.xml - container configuration, jbosscmp-jdbc.xml - persistence
configuration). I would not like to end up with three object models, one
per deployment descriptor. I would like to combine the information from
all the three files into the same object model.

* support for both DTD and XML schemas

What do you think about implementing the features above?

I just finished a proof of concept implementation and have a binding
tool that supports all the features above including marshalling. I could
commit it to JBoss but I would better contribute it to some existing
project. I believe it would be useful for the project and, in JBoss, I
would use a decent tool that is maintained by experts in the area.

Thanks.