Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Mark Reyes <Ma...@ucop.edu> on 2019/04/19 17:32:11 UTC

404 response to URLs with trailing decimal

Hello,

I find that Tomcat 8 will not serve up static content with a trailing decimal in
the URL.  A response code of 404 is served up, not the static content.

My configuration is a symbolic link in the webapps/ directory. e.g.

         <Context path="/externalData" docBase="externalData">
            <Resources>
               allowLinking="true"
            </Resources>
         </Context>

A sample request URL that fails is:
         http://localhost:8080/externalData/trailingDot.

I have tried to URL encode the period in the request, but the problem still
exists.
Is this a bug in Tomcat?  If so, should I send in a bug request?
Below are the instance specifics.

Thank you.
mark.reyes@ucop.edu

Server version: Apache Tomcat/8.0.24
Server built:   Jul 1 2015 20:19:55 UTC
Server number:  8.0.24.0
OS Name:        Linux
OS Version:     4.14.104-78.84.amzn1.x86_64
Architecture:   amd64
JVM Version:    1.8.0_201-b09
JVM Vendor:     Oracle Corporation

Re: 404 response to URLs with trailing decimal

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On April 19, 2019 5:32:11 PM UTC, Mark Reyes <Ma...@ucop.edu> wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I find that Tomcat 8 will not serve up static content with a trailing
>decimal in
>the URL.  A response code of 404 is served up, not the static content.
>
>My configuration is a symbolic link in the webapps/ directory. e.g.
>
>         <Context path="/externalData" docBase="externalData">
>            <Resources>
>               allowLinking="true"
>            </Resources>
>         </Context>
>
>A sample request URL that fails is:
>         http://localhost:8080/externalData/trailingDot.
>
>I have tried to URL encode the period in the request, but the problem
>still
>exists.
>Is this a bug in Tomcat?  If so, should I send in a bug request?
>Below are the instance specifics.
>
>Thank you.
>mark.reyes@ucop.edu
>
>Server version: Apache Tomcat/8.0.24
>Server built:   Jul 1 2015 20:19:55 UTC
>Server number:  8.0.24.0
>OS Name:        Linux
>OS Version:     4.14.104-78.84.amzn1.x86_64
>Architecture:   amd64
>JVM Version:    1.8.0_201-b09
>JVM Vendor:     Oracle Corporation

Assuming the file /externalData/trailingDot. exists then yes, that looks like a bug.

Mark