Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Robin Becker <ro...@reportlab.com> on 2004/07/14 21:25:47 UTC

NT 4.0 vs svn 1.05

A colleague tried an install on a fresh NT 4.0 system and found that he
was missing msvcp60.dll. This is clearly a bug, but is it already known?
--
Robin Becker

Re: NT 4.0 vs svn 1.05

Posted by Ulrich Eckhardt <ec...@satorlaser.com>.
Barry Scott wrote:
> I recall that you have to install msvcrtl.dll when you install
> msvcp60.dll (they are matched) and msvcrtl.dll is a known dll on NT 4.0
> mean only the one in system32 is used never  the one in the applciation
> dir.

I recall using a 'local' msvcp60.dll, without installing it in any way other
than copying it into the application dir, and didn't have any problems with
that. Can you provide a pointer to some info that explains the problem?

> Anyway why is svn that is a C program depending on a C++ DLL??

BDB uses it. In case you're interested, dependencywalker.com will provide you
with the tool to find out about such things. ;)

Uli

Re: NT 4.0 vs svn 1.05

Posted by Barry Scott <ba...@barrys-emacs.org>.
On Jul 16, 2004, at 09:29, Tristan Seligmann wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 15, 2004 at 08:32:10AM +0100, Robin Becker wrote:
>> Another colleague suggests these M$ runtimes may be shipped with
>> applications, but must always be properly 'installed' ie you can't
>> just use them locally in the application directory. I guess that
>> implies
>
> I don't see any reason why putting them in the application directory
> wouldn't work.

I recall that you have to install msvcrtl.dll when you install
msvcp60.dll (they are matched)
and msvcrtl.dll is a known dll on NT 4.0 mean only the one in system32
is used never
the one in the applciation dir.

Screw up the install and you will not be able to login.

Anyway why is svn that is a C program depending on a C++ DLL??

Barry

Re: NT 4.0 vs svn 1.05

Posted by Tristan Seligmann <tr...@quotemaster.co.za>.
On Thu, Jul 15, 2004 at 08:32:10AM +0100, Robin Becker wrote:
> Another colleague suggests these M$ runtimes may be shipped with
> applications, but must always be properly 'installed' ie you can't
> just use them locally in the application directory. I guess that implies

I don't see any reason why putting them in the application directory
wouldn't work.
--
Tristan Seligmann
Developer / Network Administrator

Re: NT 4.0 vs svn 1.05

Posted by Robin Becker <ro...@reportlab.com>.
Shawn Erickson wrote:
> On Jul 14, 2004, at 2:25 PM, Robin Becker wrote:
>
>> A colleague tried an install on a fresh NT 4.0 system and found that
>> he was missing msvcp60.dll. This is clearly a bug, but is it already
>> known?
>

> Install a recent version of IE or MS Office on it and you will get that
> dll. Also I believe you can find that dll on Microsoft's website.
>
> -Shawn

...... That's true, but svn as shipped won't run without those extra steps.

Another colleague suggests these M$ runtimes may be shipped with
applications, but must always be properly 'installed' ie you can't
just use them locally in the application directory. I guess that implies
  one needs a copy of VC or something and the ability in the installer
to avoid overwriting a more recent existing DLL.
--
Robin Becker

Re: NT 4.0 vs svn 1.05

Posted by Shawn Erickson <sh...@freetimesw.com>.