Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by ssozonoff <se...@sozonoff.com> on 2006/04/17 20:03:19 UTC

Message filtering

Hi All,

What is considered the best way to filter messages. If I have a set of
complex rules, should I try and do something with a selector or am I just
better of doing my filtering outside of JMS. Can I use multiple selectors
with a single MessageListener?

Thanks,
Serge

Re: Message filtering

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.
On 4/18/06, ssozonoff <se...@sozonoff.com> wrote:

> Hi Hiram,
>

> Hiram Chirino wrote:
> >
> > If message fanout is not a problem, you can probably implement more
> > complex/dynamic rule evaluation on the client side (Drools etc.).
> >

> Of course doing this I loose some of the nice JMS features like
> loadbalancing when using a queue with multiple consumers!!
>
> Darn, I am really struggling with finding the best solution for dealing with
> message routing.
> Between using many queue's, destination wildcards, groups, selectors or just
> having a single message listener and trying to do all the logic there......

How about you start with describing what you are trying to do?
--
James
-------

Re: Message filtering

Posted by ssozonoff <se...@sozonoff.com>.
Hi Hiram,

Re: Message filtering

Posted by Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com>.
You can create multiple consumers each with a different selector who
all use the same message listener.

On 4/17/06, ssozonoff <se...@sozonoff.com> wrote:

> Hi Hiram,
>
> Thanks, and with regards to selectors, can I use multiple message selectors
> for the same MessageListener?
>
> Thanks,
> Serge

Hiram

Re: Message filtering

Posted by J Sadashiv <ja...@wipro.com>.
Can i use OR TOken in My Message Selector.
i.e., i should get messages if Person = A or Person = B.

Re: Message filtering

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.

Re: Message filtering

Re: Message filtering

Posted by Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com>.
It depends on message load and potential fan out.  If you want to
avoid large fanout , then use selectors so that the broker minimizes
the number of messages that the clients are receiving.

If message fanout is not a problem, you can probably implement more
complex/dynamic rule evaluation on the client side (Drools etc.).

Regards,
Hiram

On 4/17/06, ssozonoff <se...@sozonoff.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> What is considered the best way to filter messages. If I have a set of
> complex rules, should I try and do something with a selector or am I just
> better of doing my filtering outside of JMS. Can I use multiple selectors
> with a single MessageListener?
>
> Thanks,
> Serge

Hiram