Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Nanda <hi...@hitechengineer.com> on 2004/05/14 21:20:47 UTC

cocoon 2 offline page compile

Hello!

I have few questions on the functioning of cocoon 2.1.2 (or cocoon 2x
in general) and i thought i could seek some help from experts.

Offline compiling and class loading in cocoon 2.

 Previously, I was using couple of cocoon 1 instances sharing a
repository directory and noticed very often some of the pages (their
html content) were out of sync. on instances after a modified
logicsheet (that these pages used) was deployed. Spending several hours
analyzing code, I found that the issue was simply that cocoon 1 did not
support sharing a repository across multiple instances.
(regenerating .java, recompling, reloading classes, reloading
logsicsheets logic does not work with multiple instances case)

  Also deploying logicsheets or xsp pages during peak traffic on cocoon
1 was a major performance concern.

  It appears that cocoon 2 addresses the above two issues using offline
compiling and offline class loading. Say, have one instance of cocoon
configured to regenerate the .java files and compile them into classes
and let other cocoon instances reload classes at scheduled times or
after server restart.

  However I do not know at this time how to configure a separate cocoon
instance to compile all the possible xsp pages automatically when there
is a change to it or the logicsheets it uses. If anyone has already
configured this, can you post the details here.

  I am assuming that cocoon determines the possible pages to compile
based on sitemap.xmap. Is this true or cocoon 2 has to web crawl a site
to determine the pages?

  Can server instances be configured to reload the classes at certain
scheduled times? If not is there a url based api to force this?

Thx
Nanda
---
hiteche@hitechengineer.com