Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Willie Wheeler <ja...@yahoo.com> on 2005/01/23 09:07:01 UTC

Suggestion regarding StandardWrapper class

Hi all,

I have a suggestion regarding the StandardWrapper
class in Tomcat 5.5.4.  It contains a loadServlet()
method that catches Throwable when trying to create
the servlet using reflection, but doesn't print a
stack trace.

The stack trace would have been very useful in a case
I ran into.  I was migrating an app from 5.0.28 to
5.5.4, and my Struts servlet wouldn't load.  But the
error message just said "Error instantiating servlet
class org.apahce.struts.action.ActionServlet" without
the root cause.  In the spirit of open source, I built
Tomcat from source after adding an appropriate
e.printStackTrace().  The problem was
NoClassDefFoundError:
org/apache/commons/collections/FastHashMap.  My WAR
did not include the Apache Collections JAR because
Tomcat 5.0.28 already had it.  But apparently 5.5.4
doesn't have it (or at least doesn't share it with web
apps--I haven't checked).  In retrospect I'm thinking
that I should probably have packaged the Apache
Collections JAR in my WAR since I can't really assume
that the server environment will provide it, but I
guess the point is that a stack trace would have made
the problem easy, whereas not having a stack trace
makes it difficult.

Anyway, I'm finally looking forward to playing with
JDK 1.5 now...  :-D

Willie

Re: Suggestion regarding StandardWrapper class

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
Better yet, create a bugzilla enhancement request for TC5 and attach
your patch (see http://jakarta.apache.org/site/source.html#Patches).

Mark

Posted by Edmon Begoli <eb...@gmail.com>.
Willie,