Posted to dev@accumulo.apache.org by Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com> on 2014/06/19 21:13:07 UTC

Reduced testing burden for bug-fix releases

As we're starting to consider 1.5.2 and 1.6.1 coming out in the near
future, I want to revisit a discussion[1] I started at the end of April
regarding the "testing burden" that is currently set forth in our
release document[2].

What I'm proposing is to modify the language of the release document to
be explicit about the amount of testing needed. For bug-fix, "minor"
releases (e.g. 1.5.2 and 1.6.1), the 7 days of testing using continuous
ingest and randomwalk (with and without agitation) will be clearly
defined as "may" instead of "should" or "must" language. If the
resources are available, it is recommended that some longer,
multi-process/node test is run against the release candidate; however,
it is not required and should not prevent us from making the minor release.

I will also include language that strongly recommends that the changes
included in the "minor" release be vetted/reviewed as a way to mitigate
the risk of shipping new regressions.

I am not recommending that the language be changed for "major" releases
(e.g. 1.7.0 and 2.0.0) as these releases still imply significant new
features or internal changes.

Unless someone informs me otherwise, I will treat this as a normal
lazy-consensus approval. Assuming we move closer to "proper" semantic
versioning for 2.0.0, I believe these updated guidelines will change
again. I do however think there is merit in making this change now so
that we can get the good bugs that we've fixed out to our users.

Let me know what you think. I will wait, at least, the prescribed three
days before changing any thing.

- Josh

[1]
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/accumulo-dev/201404.mbox/%3C535931A7.30605%40gmail.com%3E
[2] http://accumulo.apache.org/governance/releasing.html

Re: Reduced testing burden for bug-fix releases

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.
+1 for reduced testing burden for bugfixes and a change in the guidelines
to reflect that.

--
Christopher L Tubbs II
http://gravatar.com/ctubbsii

Posted by Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com>.
On 6/23/14, 4:31 PM, Sean Busbey wrote:
>>> 3) As a point of principle, David's veto was completely valid as it stood.

>> >That's why I said "Unless you are willing to supply the funds to pay to
>> >use some resources, I don't feel like this is a valid -1." If he, or
>> >anyone, is willing provide general resources for testing, that's a
>> >different story. Given his response, I assume that is not the case.
>> >

> But that's the opposite of what I just said. The opposition and the ability
> to find funds are not strongly coupled.

Oh it is. I apologize, I misread your initial statement.

> The lack of funds would hopefully be a convincing argument to try to sway
> someone that we should lower the testing barrier, but they aren't a
> legitimate excuse for invalidating their vote. What if Hypothetical David
> wanted to do fund raising to get resources together? Would you decide on a
> deadline that would allow his vote to be legitimate or not?

I wouldn't have a problem with anyone trying to raise funds for test
resources, within reason. But, unless someone is actually planning to do
this, it probably isn't much more than a hypothetical argument that we
need to spend time discussing.

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com>.
inline

On Mon, Jun 23, 2014 at 2:52 PM, Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 6/23/14, 3:31 PM, Sean Busbey wrote:
>

>> 2) We really could have used a [VOTE] on changing 1.x versions to use
>> bugfix for the last number. It would be an opportunity to formally adopt
>> our release governance docs into the PMC bylaws by reference.
>>

> I don't see this as a huge issue since everyone seemed to be in agreement
> on it. Writing it down for reference would be good for future discussions
> on the subject.

I don't think everyone is in agreement on it. To wit, I remain opposed to
it.

>> 3) As a point of principle, David's veto was completely valid as it stood.
>> While we are individuals it's perfectly reasonable for the PMC to set
>> requirements on what goes into a release we sign off on, even if the PMC
>> members may not always have ready access to the resources needed to meet
>> that standard.
>>
>> There's no reason David should have to volunteer resources to back up his
>> veto, especially when it was merely calling for a continuation of the
>> standard we already had set.
>>

> That's why I said "Unless you are willing to supply the funds to pay to
> use some resources, I don't feel like this is a valid -1." If he, or
> anyone, is willing provide general resources for testing, that's a
> different story. Given his response, I assume that is not the case.

But that's the opposite of what I just said. The opposition and the ability
to find funds are not strongly coupled.

The lack of funds would hopefully be a convincing argument to try to sway
someone that we should lower the testing barrier, but they aren't a
legitimate excuse for invalidating their vote. What if Hypothetical David
wanted to do fund raising to get resources together? Would you decide on a
deadline that would allow his vote to be legitimate or not?

The basis for a veto need merely be technical. "We've done this level of
testing before and it protects our users. We should continue doing it." is
a perfectly reasonable justification. (I admit I am taking some liberty in
making parts of David's previous concern more explicit)

BTW, situations like this are a part of why Majority Vote for governance
decisions are my preference. While I fully agree with David's ability to
veto I also agree that the community should be able to override him if no
funding source could be found.

>> 4) While I'm not in a position to obligate Cloudera, the team I'm on
>> currently has been allocated sufficient resources to meet the current
>> testing standards for a release and I have no reason to believe we won't
>> have said resources when future release windows happen.
>>

> This would require time from you, Mike or Bill H, yes? While having some
> dedicated resources is nice, I'm worried about relying on other people (who
> have their own obligations) to fulfill the release manager's obligations.
>
> I think that gets into the details which the release manager can
> coordinate and other devs can express their concerns via the normal release
> voting process.

The release manager's only responsibility is to ensure the testing gets
done, not to do the testing themselves. That's why we're a community: so we
can rely on each other.

If a particular release manager needs help making sure the coverage
happens, they should just ask for that help when making the release plan.
Mike, Bill, and I are all capable of getting approval to block out time in
support of things that are good for Apache Accumulo.

(I am not actually sure it would require time from Mike, Bill, or me;
circumstances happen and "it depends." It's certainly easier for Mike,
Bill, or me to do it.)

--
Sean

Re: Reduced testing burden for bug-fix releases

Posted by Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com>.
On 6/23/14, 3:31 PM, Sean Busbey wrote:
> I realize we're past window here, but a few things:

It's ok. I only remembered about this early today.

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by David Medinets <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com>.
For context, I do not have the physical resources available to me at any
point in time.

Time is also a concern, but usually less of one because I don't mind
working into evenings and weekends to get this done, and I can usually
work on my other priorities concurrently.

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.

Posted by Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com>.
I'm sorry, David, but you need to remember that we are individuals.

My employer is absolutely irrelevant from the equation. Unless you are

Posted by David Medinets <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com>.
On Fri, Jun 27, 2014 at 4:34 PM, Christopher <ct...@apache.org> wrote:

> I like labels to identify testing needs, as well as which tests were
> performed. "needs-test", followed by "tested-24hr-ci", etc.

oh, yeeeeeessss. that would be nice. that would give us a better idea of
testing coverage without requiring explicit coordination pre-RC.

--
Sean

Re: Reduced testing burden for bug-fix releases

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com>.