Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Harold <ha...@neguide.com> on 2004/08/28 02:38:36 UTC

[users@httpd] What do I do about execO?

Hello,

I am having no luck getting Apache to run.  The closest point achieved
so far is when I start Console mode.  The screen says:

> [Fri Aug 27 7:16:15 2004] [warn] (2) No such file or directory: execO
> may not be a safe
> Apache/1.3.31 (Win32) running...

Background info --

I want to get PHP to support MySQL on my PC in local mode.  Hence, I
need the server.  I downloaded Apache.  I installed 2.0.  Then I found
mention on the php site that this was a mistake, uninstalled it, and
then installed Apache 1.3.  The system is Windows 98.  Related
functionality -- I've downloaded php-4.3.8-Win32.zip.  I'm aiming at
using the CGI executable version of PHP (php.exe).  The php
distribution file was extracted to c:\php, and the extension dlls are
in c:\php\extensions.  The php.ini resides in c:\Windows\ and has been
edited to show extension_dir = "c:\php\extensions." The dlls in the
distribution were copied to c:\windows\system.  I downloaded and ran
MDAC 2.8 from Microsoft. The Registry shows a path to c:\php\php.exe.

During set-up I entered my email address, "localhost" and "127.0.0.1."

Settings in Apache's conf include

-- Two lines at top of file:
ScriptAlias /php/ "c:/php/"
AddType application/x-httpd-php .php

-- The rest of the file is pretty much at default, including:
ServerRoot "C:/Program Files/Apache Group/Apache"
ServerName 127.0.0.1
DocumentRoot "C:/Program Files/Apache Group/Apache/htdocs"

I did find a reference which bothers me:
# Under Win32, we do not currently try to determine the home directory of
# a Windows login, so a format such as that below needs to be used.  See
# the UserDir documentation for details.
#
<IfModule mod_userdir.c>
    UserDir "C:/Program Files/Apache Group/Apache/users/"
</IfModule>

There is no /users/ directory!  Also, there is no error log in the
(still empty) /logs/ directory.

In C:/Program Files/Apache Group/Apache/htdocs I have two test files,
test.html and test.php.  Both include this in the <body>:
<?php echo "PHP says Hi, too";
phpinfo();
?>

If I open either directly, only the HTML line appears.  There seems to
be no connection between the page and PHP.  If I address the files as
http://localhost/test.html
http://localhost/test.php
http://127.0.0.1/test.html
http://127.0.0.1/test.php
they all go to "page cannot be displayed."

Apache is running as a Service.  The above execO error is seen when I
then click on the icon to open it as a Console.

I also ran across:

> Because Apache cannot share the same port with another TCP/IP
> application, you may need to stop, uninstall or reconfigure certain
> other services before running Apache. These conflicting services
> include other WWW servers and some firewall implementations.

So I turned off both firewall and virus protection;  no change.  I am
*not* about to uninstall them!

I have visited the faq and have done searches on the archives.  No joy.
That's all I know about what to say or observe, and have now exhausted
my technical knowledge of the product outside of
see-the-dog-see-the-dog-run explanations.  Any idea where I might
find/fix my major foul-up?

I hope this mailing list responds directly;  I'm having trouble figuring
out how to get current postings.

Thanks for your time.

Harold

Re: [users@httpd] What do I do about execO?

Posted by Harold <ha...@neguide.com>.
Thanks, everyone, for your ideas.  I'm a bit swamped at the moment, but
hope to be back on this later in the day.

...Of course, it's kinda hard to type with your fingers crossed...

Posted by Robert Andersson <ro...@profundis.nu>.
wilfriedm@golden.net wrote:
> Your right, I do see the cosole open and cose quickly with the "syntax ok"
> message showing.

I'm not very experienced with running Apache from the console nor Windows
9x/ME, so my comments might be a bit off.

The "syntax ok" message seems to indicate to me that you are only running a
syntax check (eg. with the -t option), not starting the server. If you want
to start it, open a command prompt, cd to Apache's bin directory, and enter
"apache".

> How can I test to see that Apache ias already running:

Look at a process listing to see if Apache.exe is there. Also, look in
Apache's error log; it should log some stuff when it starts/stops.

> when I use http://localhost:80 or 8080 it does not process the
> Apache page.
>
> Instead my browser returns an error page and the url is local:80
> or local:8080

What error? If you are using Internet Explorer, disable the "friendly HTTP
error messages" option in advanced preferences; it only obscures what is
really going on.

When you make a request, you can look in the access log to see if it comes
through to Apache.

Re: [users@httpd] What do I do about execO?

Posted by wi...@golden.net.

Posted by Robert Andersson <ro...@profundis.nu>.

Posted by Jim Maul <jm...@elih.org>.
Quoting Harold <ha...@neguide.com>:

<SNIP>

> I experimented with changing Listen 80 to Listen 127.0.0.1:80, but to no
> avail.  I have experimented with changing port 80 to port 2007, but to
> no avail.  I see...
>
>> Because Apache CANNOT share the same port with another TCP/IP
>  > application, you may need to stop or uninstall certain services
>  > first. These include (but are not limited to) other web servers,
>  > and firewall products such as BlackIce. If you can only start
>  > Apache with these services disabled, reconfigure either Apache
>  > or the other product so that they do not listen on the same
>  > TCP/IP ports. You may find the Windows "netstat -an" command
>  > useful in finding out what ports are in use.
>
> I have tried nstat -an, and the window vanishes before anything can be
> read.  I can almost "see" about four columns of numbers.

Try running this command from within a "DOS" window and not from the run
command.  When running this from within a window, it should not close after it
is done unlike what happens when you run it directly from the start->run
prompt.

Jim

Re: [users@httpd] What do I do about execO?

Posted by Harold <ha...@neguide.com>.
Hello Robert,

OK.  I uninstalled 1.3.  I installed 2.  Nothing has changed
functionally.  However, I do have a whole new set of errors...

1) When I test the installation the black screen shows up but disappears
instantly, but I can see "syntax OK" before it goes.

2) When I try to open as a Console, the black screen shows up but
disappears instantly.  If I open as Console repeatedly, I can barely
make out what appears to be... Socket operation on non-socket; make
_sock for address 0.0.0.0:80 apr_opt_set (SO_KEEP_ALIVE) no
listening sockets available, shutting down.

 From MS-DOS I worked my way to C:\program files\apache group\apache2\bin
and ran apache.  It said about the same thing.  I cannot find
"make_sock" or SO_KEEP_ALIVE in conf.  What's that all about?

(Please note -- the MS-DOS route in
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/windows.html is incorrect for 2.0.)

 From the icon, there are two different screen formats.  In the
alternate one it continues to say, "Unable to" but then I lose it. I
think it's "Unable to open logs."

3) The conf is as downloaded except that I have added two lines at the
top...
ScriptAlias /php/ "c:/php/"
AddType application/x-httpd-php .php

I experimented with changing Listen 80 to Listen 127.0.0.1:80, but to no
avail.  I have experimented with changing port 80 to port 2007, but to
no avail.  I see...

> Because Apache CANNOT share the same port with another TCP/IP
 > application, you may need to stop or uninstall certain services
 > first. These include (but are not limited to) other web servers,
 > and firewall products such as BlackIce. If you can only start
 > Apache with these services disabled, reconfigure either Apache
 > or the other product so that they do not listen on the same
 > TCP/IP ports. You may find the Windows "netstat -an" command
 > useful in finding out what ports are in use.

I have tried nstat -an, and the window vanishes before anything can be
read.  I can almost "see" about four columns of numbers.

I find there is a new Apache monitor icon in the tray.  Cursor-over
indicates "no services installed."  I have yet to find any instructions
as to how to install services.  <sigh>

So it is still dead.  Well, it's running, but I cannot open
http://127.0.0.1/test.php, so for all practical purposes it might as
well be dead.

It was suggested that I run Apache in Console mode only, but I can't see
how to do that in version 2.

The "help I'm stuck" icon goes to a dead file.  The only file in /logs/
is Install.  So, I cannot review ether Access or Errors.  When I click
on Monitor Apache, I get a warning of "already started."

To review... it's a stand-alone Windows 98SE PC.  Apache is to be used
in local mode, to get PHP to support MySQL.  My download is now
apache_2.0.50-win32-x86-no_ssl.msi.  Apache is in Server mode.

Please help. (Look... I'm on my knees...)

Thanks.

Harold

- - -

Posted by Robert Andersson <ro...@profundis.nu>.