Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by samabhiK <qe...@gmail.com> on 2013/04/16 11:25:18 UTC

Is cache useful for my scenario?

Hi,

I am new in Solr and wish to use version 4.2.x for my app in production. I
want to show hundreds and thousands of markers on a map with contents coming
from Solr. As the user moves around the map and pans, the browser will fetch
data/markers using a BBOX filter (based on the maps' viewport boundary).

There will be a lot of data that will be indexed in Solr. My question is,
does caching help in my case? As the filter queries will vary for almost all
users ( because the viewport latitude/longitude would vary), in what ways
can I use Caching to increase performance. Should I completely turn off
caching?

If you can suggest by your experience, it would be really nice.

Thanks
Sam

Re: Is cache useful for my scenario?

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@gmail.com>.
Hi Sam,

Sounds like you may want to disable caches, yes.  But instead of
guessing, just look at the stats and based on that configure your
caches.  You can get stats from Solr Admin page or, if you need
long-term stats and performance patterns, use SPM for Solr or
something similar.

Otis
--
Solr & ElasticSearch Support
http://sematext.com/

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
: There will be a lot of data that will be indexed in Solr. My question is,
: does caching help in my case? As the filter queries will vary for almost all
: users ( because the viewport latitude/longitude would vary), in what ways
: can I use Caching to increase performance. Should I completely turn off
: caching?

you can use the "cache" localparam on your "fq" params to disable caching
of those specific bbox filter queries w/o needing to completley disable
caching.

that way if you have any other filter queries that could leverage caching,
or use faceting, etc...) thy can still take advantage of the caches...

http://wiki.apache.org/solr/CommonQueryParameters#Caching_of_filters

-Hoss