Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Reinhard Brandstädter <re...@ams-engineering.com> on 2004/11/18 16:54:36 UTC

svn: Can't recode string

Hi,

I'm using the latest subversion server on Linux  (1.1.1 via Apache
WebDAV) and either the latest Tortoise Client on Windows and the svn
commands on the same machine that hosts the repository.
When I tried to checkout a working copy on the server machine itself i
get a error message:
svn: Can't recode string
while checking out on windows still works.
I think this happens because the linux svn client tries to checkout a
file wich contains a german Umlaut, so how can one avoid this behavior
(while still using Umlauts)?

Thanks,
Reinhard

Re: svn: Can't recode string

Posted by Reinhard Brandstädter <r....@gmx.at>.
On Thursday 18 November 2004 18:01, Lukas Ruf wrote:

> do you make use of Debian?
>
> if so, run
>
>     dpkg-reconfigure locales
>
> and select English or any character set as appropriate.   I selected
> English because I like the English remarks better than the German
> ones, but created the German character sets as well.  Since then, I do
> not run into such troubles anymore.

although not using debian but gentoo,
export LANG=en_US helped ;-)

Thanks for the advice!

Reinhard

Re: svn: Can't recode string

Posted by Lukas Ruf <ru...@rawip.org>.
> Reinhard Brandstädter <re...@ams-engineering.com>
> [2004-11-18 17:55]:
>
> Hi,
>
> I'm using the latest subversion server on Linux  (1.1.1 via Apache
> WebDAV) and either the latest Tortoise Client on Windows and the svn
> commands on the same machine that hosts the repository.  When I
> tried to checkout a working copy on the server machine itself i get
> a error message: svn: Can't recode string while checking out on
> windows still works.  I think this happens because the linux svn
> client tries to checkout a file wich contains a german Umlaut, so
> how can one avoid this behavior (while still using Umlauts)?

do you make use of Debian?

if so, run

    dpkg-reconfigure locales

and select English or any character set as appropriate.   I selected
English because I like the English remarks better than the German
ones, but created the German character sets as well.  Since then, I do
not run into such troubles anymore.

HTH.

wbr,
Lukas
--
Lukas Ruf           | Wanna know anything about raw |
<http://www.lpr.ch> | IP? -> <http://www.rawip.org> |

Re: Can't recode string

Posted by Albrecht Müller <10...@compuserve.com>.
Hi,

I think I have a similar problem in a completely different environment
(see my posting "Can't recode string - svn Version 1.1.1 (r11851) -
cygwin under Windows 98"). My current hypothesis is that somewhere in
the way between the operating system and subversion the encoding of the
filenames differs (UTF-8 vs. Latin xxx). Probably the cause of the
message is that subversion assumes the filename to be in UTF-8 format,
where a byte with the high bit on must be followed by at least another
byte with high bit on. When the filename is in Latin xxx a german umlaut
is located above 128, and usually no other byte with high bit on
follows.

I got this message the first time when I tried a "svn help" - obviously
because I have an umlaut in my name and therefore hat it in my home
directory name. I did a Google search on "Can't recode string" but did
not find a solution and did not find a workaround yet. I think there is
a native Windows version of subversion and I am considering to search
for and try it.

Best regards

Albrecht