Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by sh...@charter.net on 2016/11/29 01:33:11 UTC

Extensions

I have Apache 4.1.3.  Unfortunately, prior to my knowledge of Apache’s existence and the fact it was installed on my PC before purchasing, I have Windows / Word 10 & 13.  I absolutely love my Apache and have not had any problems.  I cannot say the same about Microsoft, I’ve had times I wanted to throw all of their apps in the middle of a busy highway.

Having said the above, the questions I need assistance from you are:
1.  I have searched some of the extensions applicable to my Apache and the Windows in English.  I need to know, prior to me downloading, the prices of these apps.  Due to a stroke 4 years ago and current residual health problems, I am on a meager fixed disability income through Social Security.  (I miss my successful career and paycheck).
2.  I’ve noticed with many apps, not just yours, require numerous permissions.  Some of them, I would be a total idiot to allow.  For example, the ability to alter and/or delete files, photos, access to my contacts, ability to send texts and emails, etc.  My personal feelings, the photos are irreplaceable due to deceased family and friends, children and grandchildren from infant up, travel experiences (non-repeatable), etc.  These are my private, personal items and I honestly do not trust anyone enough to allow carte blanc of MY PC, MY files, MY photos, and again, etc.

I sincerely would like to have some apps/extensions to go with my Apache as my plan is to utilize you to the extent I am able and avoid Windows/Word.  Therefore, I request your assistance and attention to the above to hopefully enable me to proceed.

I look forward to your responses.

Regards,

Sharon

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Re: Extensions

Posted by Martin Groenescheij <Ma...@Groenescheij.COM>.

On 29/11/16 12:33 PM, sharon1115@charter.net wrote:
> I have Apache 4.1.3.  Unfortunately, prior to my knowledge of Apache’s existence and the fact it was installed on my PC before purchasing, I have Windows / Word 10 & 13.  I absolutely love my Apache and have not had any problems.  I cannot say the same about Microsoft, I’ve had times I wanted to throw all of their apps in the middle of a busy highway.
>
> Having said the above, the questions I need assistance from you are:
> 1.  I have searched some of the extensions applicable to my Apache and the Windows in English.  I need to know, prior to me downloading, the prices of these apps.  Due to a stroke 4 years ago and current residual health problems, I am on a meager fixed disability income through Social Security.  (I miss my successful career and paycheck).

You can find and download extensions from www.openoffice.org/extensions/
they are all created and maintained
by volunteers.

> 2.  I’ve noticed with many apps, not just yours, require numerous permissions.  Some of them, I would be a total idiot to allow.  For example, the ability to alter and/or delete files, photos, access to my contacts, ability to send texts and emails, etc.  My personal feelings, the photos are irreplaceable due to deceased family and friends, children and grandchildren from infant up, travel experiences (non-repeatable), etc.  These are my private, personal items and I honestly do not trust anyone enough to allow carte blanc of MY PC, MY files, MY photos, and again, etc.

All permissions asked is just to install the extensions, as far as I
know non need access to your personal information.

Re: Extensions

Posted by Chuck Davis <cj...@gmail.com>.
Sharon, there is no cost for using OpenOffice.  Just be sure you obtain
your new copy from www.openoffice.org or www.openoffice.apache.org.  There
are other places that will say it's free but they embed malware and
advertisements.  Other sites even try to sell it.....

In my experience OpenOffice only asks permission if you attempt to delete
something....then it asks you if you are sure??  It will probably also ask
you if you want to save your work when you close OpenOffice if you have not
already done so.

Hope this answers your questions....enjoy AOO!