Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by James Godrej <ja...@yahoo.in> on 2010/07/20 13:41:24 UTC

How is Apache Documentation organized

I am curious to know how is Apache documentation organized.
Meaning if some one comes with complete zero experience of web hosting where
should they start
so that they can be thorough with Apache.
Which pages they should access.
I read many doc pages at some places examples are given but not at all places.Or
did I miss some thing?
What I mean to say different directives and modules in sample setups how are
they applied are there some
sample configurations or it is assumed that it is obvious.

Re: How is Apache Documentation organized

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Antonio Petrelli wrote:
> 2010/7/20 Pid <pi...@pidster.com>:
>> If you mean Apache HTTPD rather than Apache Tomcat, then you'll want:
>>
>>  http://www.apache.org/
>
> Do you mean:
> http://httpd.apache.org/

No, I believe he really meant
http://www.apache.org/

Considering the question of the OP, it seemed to be a very generic question, not
particularly specific to the httpd server or Tomcat.
Considering the premise "if some one comes with complete zero experience of web
hosting..", then I would add : start with the HTTP RFC (Google for "http rfc 2616").
Then go to www.apache.org, and maybe start with httpd.
Then if you want to really learn about how Apache does things internally (as opposed to
just its configuration), my suggestion would be here :
http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/handlers/http.html#HTTP_Request_Cycle_Phases
(This is part of the mod_perl documentation, but it is at the same time the best
introduction to the Apache httpd internals which I know of).
Then if Tomcat is your main point of interest, grab yourself a copy of the Java Servlet
Specification.  It is dense, but fairly readable, and a must before you really start
dabbling with Tomcat.
Then go to tomcat.apache.org and read the documentation.
At the end of that, you'll already know more than most people on this forum.

Re: How is Apache Documentation organized

Posted by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com>.
2010/7/20 Pid <pi...@pidster.com>:
> If you mean Apache HTTPD rather than Apache Tomcat, then you'll want:
>
>  http://www.apache.org/

Do you mean:
http://httpd.apache.org/

Antonio

Re: How is Apache Documentation organized

Posted by Pid <pi...@pidster.com>.

Start at http://www.apache.org/ and let us know when you've finished.

> I read many doc pages at some places examples are given but not at all places.Or
> did I miss some thing?

Could you give an example?